Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748201 Members
2852 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding filesystem by increasing vdisk size (tru64b-3/eva5000)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Expanding filesystem by increasing vdisk size (tru64b-3/eva5000)

I have the following:

a.) database domain "foo" with a single fileset "bar".
b.) the filesystem is active
c.) the domain has a single whole disk under the hood (e.g. dsk100c)
c.) I want to increase the Domain size, but I want to only have one drive per domain
d.) An EVA5000 disk array is presenting the LUN

I'd like to confirm that I can do the following on a 5.1-3 trucluster:

1.) Increase relevant Vdisk size within my EVA5000
2.) mount -u -o extend foo#bar /foo/bar
3.) There is no step 3.

I can do this correct? No need to shutdown the database app and/or dismount, correct? Have you ever done this on a production system?

Thanks, much
11 REPLIES 11
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Sorry, meant trucluster 5.1B-3.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

We tried this once, but we never used in production. That's because the HP engineer did not aprove our procedure (in that time, and i don't know why).

1- Increase the relevand VDISK size in the EVA5000.

2 - df -k

3- Run disklabel -rw, ro update the partition table with the new disk size.

4- mount -u -o extend /mount_point

5 - df -k
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Huh, this is what the documentation says (doesn't meantion disklabel, but that seems like it would be a necessary step):

2.3.4.3 Increasing Storage in Domains by Extending an Existing Volume

You can increase the amount of storage available in your domain by enlarging the size of an existing volume. For example, LSM and hardware RAID controllers support dynamically increasing the size of a volume. Because expanding the size of an LSM or hardware RAID volume is done independently of AdvFS, you must notify the domain when the size of a volume changes by using the mount command with the -o extend option. You only need to mount one fileset with this option to increase the size of the domain.

If the fileset is not already mounted, enter:

mount -o extenddomain#fileset /mount_point

If the fileset is already mounted, enter:

mount -u -o extenddomain#fileset /mount_point

When the -o extend option is used, all additional storage is available to all filesets in the domain.

Note

Increasing the size of a domain by extending a volume is unidirectional. AdvFS does not support shrinking volumes.

Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

I would absolutely NOT run disklabel in the expansion scenario! Writing a new label runs the risk of erasing everything on the disk. I've gone through this procedure on our Tru64 box without using disklabel and it works just fine.
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Mark, are you sure?

HP support is telling me that I must use disklabel. Our current sticking point is that they want me to manually edit it, while I believe using 'disklabel -rw DISK_C HSV110' will work. How would this work without changing the disklabel? Does the mount -o extend automagically do this for you?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

As per the 'mount' manpage, 'disklabel' is required.
In any case, I wonder why disklabel would 'erase' the disk contents. It could only tamper with the disklabel part of the disk. I would recommend that you save a copy of your current disklabel before proceeding.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think I see the source of the confusion - and even better I've had a chance to try it for real. The AdvFS Administration Guide (section 2.3.4.3) gives one procedure - no disklabel - and the man page for mount gives another - with disklabel.

I just tried this with and EVA3000 and a system on 5.1B-3. The man page procedure is correct and the 'disklabel -wr dsknn HSX' command does not interfere with existing files. No need for manually editing the disklabel. Sorry for the bad info Adam - good luck!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I am pretty sure that disklabel is needed, and won't destroy the existing data, BUT, the filesystem should be dismounted to run disklabel, or you may get an error.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

The way I've extended vdisks in our EVA3000 is as follows:

o Dismount the disk.
o Use the SAN Appliance to extend the vdisk.
o Run diskconfig and extend the C partition.
o Mount the disk with the '-o extend' option.
o Use 'df -k' to verify the new size of the disk.

This is assuming that the C partition is used for the entire disk.

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.