4618 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Exporting a Volume Group

luissma
Advisor

Exporting a Volume Group

Hi,

I'm carrying out a migration on a RHEL AS 4 to move some data from one old HP EVA to a newer one. This system has two HBA, each one connected to a different storage.

I have one volume group on the old EVA and I have created a new VG on the new storage. Initially my idea was to copy all the data from the old VG to the new one and then vgexport old VG, disconnect fibre and keep the disks just in case something goes wrong.

I've done all the process but after vgexporting the old VG I can still see it on the system (I thought it worked as in HP-UX). I've tried to vgremove the VG but it fails saying that "Volume group 'VGXXXXXXX' is exported" and I cannot remove it from the system.

Could anybody let me know how can I detach these disks from the system to keep them for, in case of problems, doing a vgimport to recover old disks.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
luissma
Advisor

Re: Exporting a Volume Group

Besides this, after exporting VG, I commented out corresponding lines in /etc/fstab and tried to reboot the system but during the boot process the system hangs and I have to "vgimport" exported VG to be able to get the system up.

Luisma Arranz
luissma
Advisor

Ok, I empirically found the solution to my "problem".

Once the VG is exported I stopped the system, then disconnect fibre and booted up again. This way everything works fine; the operating system is able to re-read the devices itself and reorganize LVM objects correctly.

Now, the exported VG is definitely removed from the system.

Regards,

Luisma Arranz
luissma
Advisor

1.- Exported VG
2.- Stopped system
3.- Disconnected fibre
4.- Booted-up

Ok --