1752544 Members
4913 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Extended root VG fails to boot HP-UX 9.04

Roger Beavans
Occasional Contributor

Extended root VG fails to boot HP-UX 9.04

I'm trying to build an old E35 system for a client to use as a dev platform. They are wishing to obtain a system exactly like the one they have. I cannot figure out the following problem. The root VG has two disks one internal (1GB, SE 56/52.6) one external (Jamacia 2GB, FW 56/40.14). I load a min. system from CD on either disk. When I extend the volume with the other disk, the VG will not boot. The error is not enough PV's, and the system halts. The existing system is build with the internal drive as the boot disk. I can't figure out how they did this and I'm not up on 9.04. Any suggestions???
Everything should be a simple as possible, but no simplier -Einstein
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Extended root VG fails to boot HP-UX 9.04

Welcome to 9.04!!

Unless you patch the living crap out of 9.04 you aren't going to have much luck with lvm.

And of course good luck finding patches!

Why would anyone develop in 9.04, which is not Y2K compliant? and it does not run on the newer servers?

When you say the "VG will not boot", what does that mean??

Although I could be dead wrong here (it's been decades (well it feels it) since 9.04), I don't think you can have a lun in 9.04 of 14 (56/40.14), you need to keep it below 7.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Roger Beavans
Occasional Contributor

Well...The customer wants this because the customer wants this. And the customer is always right. But...more info. The system will not boot after extending the root VG because of a lack of Quorum. Disabling quorom the system will boot. But indicates that the recently added PV is not available, which it should be. Any ideas???

rogerb
demon@evilcracker.org
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

One, you will not be able to get any patches on-line, you'll have to contact HP directly - and good luck. two, it's sometimes better to just walk away; Just because a client wants to use leaches to cure a headache doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Both systems have identical hardware paths and device addressing??

live free or die
harry

Live Free or Die
Roger Beavans
Occasional Contributor

Yep, as far as I can tell the clone is exactly like the original. However, the original works and the clone does not.

rogerb