New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extending Disk Space of /home Thru Online

SOLVED
Go to solution
Muthyala
Frequent Advisor

Extending Disk Space of /home Thru Online

Hi

I would like to extend my /home mount point to 100MB currently it is only 32MB.It is also mirrored in /dev/vg00 volume group.I am attaching the details.

My question is can i do it online thru Online JFS installed , with out umounting the /home.

Can i extend the logical volume thru online with out umounting /home if it is mirrored.

Steps involved in it.

Thanks
Sri

3 REPLIES 3
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

If you have OnlineJFS installed, you won't have to unmount /home to increase its size. You simply run the following to increase it:

fsadm -F vxfs -b (sizemegs*1024) /home
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Yes you can extend it online w/o unmounting the filesystem since you have OnlineJFS. The max. you can extend this lvol is by 49*16M = 784M since it's mirrored.

# lvextend -L 100 /dev/vg00/lvol5
# fsadm -F vxfs -b 100M /home

~cheers
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Sri:

As noted, if you have OnlineJFS then there is no need to unmount the filesystem in order to increase its size.

LVM mirroring is done at the level of the *logical volume*, so whether or not you have OnlineJFS is immaterial. OnlineJFS (or simply JFS or VxFS) deals with a *filesystem*. Logical volumes (and hence their mirrors) are merely the "container" in which the filesystem resides. You mirror the container and its extents, not the filesystem.

Regards!

...JRF...