108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Extending /usr on HPUX 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
dabella12
Occasional Advisor

Extending /usr on HPUX 11.11

Hello gurus I need help on how to umount /usr on HPUX 11.11 for I can extend the file system. /usr is running out of space and needs to be extended but I can't umount it because  the device is always busy.

1 REPLY 1
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Extending /usr on HPUX 11.11

If you do not have Online JFS (an optional priced addon for HP-UX), then you cannot have /usr mounted. This is only possible in single user mode. First make sure you have unused space in vg00 with: vgdisplay vg00

The free space(in megabytes) is calculated by taking Free PE multiplied by PE Size.  If the lvols are mirrored, the amount of free space is divided by 2.

Assuming you are on a PARISC server and not a workstation like the C3600, make sure you are connected to the console and login to the GSP/MP, then select the console with the command: CO

You're now connected to HP-UX. Now use shutdown -ry 0 to reboot. Monitor the selftest results and interrupt the boot startup when you see the 10 second wait. Press Enter to get to the BCH prompt. Then type BOOT PRIMARY, and answer Y to the question about interact with the ISL. When you see the ISL prompt, type hpux -is

The system will then boot to single user mode with nothing mounted except / and /stand. Now use lvextend (first) to extend the lvol to the new size as in: lvextend -L newMB /dev/vg00/lvol##. Then use extendfs like this: extendfs /dev/vg00/rlvol##

Note the 'r' in rlvol. This is required for extendfs. Now you're done and you can reboot with: shutdown -ry 0

Bill Hassell, sysadmin