1753521 Members
5757 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FTP Related Question

Fern H2O
Frequent Advisor

FTP Related Question

Hello All, This is a basic question but I've looked all over and I haven't gotten a definite answer, so i'm hoping you guys can help me out...

Is there a limit to an FTP transfer?? For example, when I try to ftp a file over about 6 gig I get some problems, for example, system freezes or connection breaks. So, i'm wondering maybe it's because there is a limit to how big a file you can transfer.

Please enlighten me, thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you should have problems with limits, you should start at 2 GB normally. Maybe you have a disk related problem, what when the file starts to grow, your system cannot handle it.

Can you create a 10 GB file locally, for example, running:

dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=8k count=1310720
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

Couple things to try:

o Look at the error message from FTP why the connection is being dropped. It might say that there is a timeout. That would be because it hasn't received any traffic for a given period of time (normal).

o When things look hung try to transfer a small file from the same host. If it goes through you may have a buffer problem.

o Try bringing up some of the utilities to monitor system resources. Here are a few that may help:

o run o run and check your resources.
o run and watch the traffic.

regards,
tonyp
REMEMBER: Once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion.