1753867 Members
7386 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fans run at full speed all the time on DL380

Taylors1
Occasional Advisor

Fans run at full speed all the time on DL380

How do I load drivers for my DL380 to ensure that the server's fans do not run at full speed all the time. I am running Debian 1:3.3.5-13, so far everything seems to work, although others have posted questions on alerting about disk failures etc which I would be interested in. My first concern is the fans too noisey.Output of dmesg attached.
9 REPLIES 9
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Hello Taylors!

I don't know DL380, but i think you can try two way:

1 - Check if into the Bios are something about fans speed

2 - Check into /proc/acpi/thermal are something abnormal.

Regards.
Taylors1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks... but I do not have a thermal entry under /proc. I have no fan speed entry in bios. Used smart start 5.4 and set operating system to linux. The server is a G1 original DL380. The later models seem to have support and can be controlled using insight agents etc... (Or so I believe from this forum) Has any body had any luck with the older stuff...
Steve T.
Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Depending upon the version of DL380 G1 or G5 etc. The later ones are hardware driven via temp sensors - which may mean faulty h/w sensor or something, while the earlier ones use software - thus require drivers to downspeed the fans.

Would look at upgrading firmware on them to see if that helps.

Robert.
Taylors1
Occasional Advisor

Rebuilt this server from win2k advanced server and fans ran full at boot then slow when drivers load. Running debian Linux sarge 2.4.27-3-386 and fans stay full speed. Using firmware cd fans slow when drivers load all firmware updated. I reckon I need s/w drivers for debian. I built from iso netinstall from debian.org is there other drivers in the HP disk. I have it and could rebuild using that.
Thanks Steve T.
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

I think one of the modules in the PSP will do the trick. I've run systems at my desk for experimental purposes & it will slow during the boot cycle.
Taylors1
Occasional Advisor

One of the modules in the PSP?
Sorry not sure what you are refferring to. But I am willing to give it a try as this is spoiling an almost faultless set up. I'm a little better than a newbie at this stuff but still need some instruction.
Thanks Steve T.
Taylors1
Occasional Advisor

Forgot to mention... I'm tempted to do a reinstall with the HP netinstall CD. I really want a 2.6 kernal just accepted the defaults first time. It will also check to see if their build makes a difference. Just hope they don't bend the rules... Debian's rock solid on other machines I've had over 4yrs the only problems have been disk failures hence array controller and raid 5...

Thanks Steve T.
Taylors1
Occasional Advisor

Update on this issue...
Solved!!! I loaded the HPASM onto the existing server with no other changes. It needed some libraries downloading and snmp stuff, all easy to do following the installation instructions. Ran the install started the agents all ok. Fans now running quieter. This was a debian 1.3r4 build with 2.4 kernal. Netinstall disk from debian.org. After my success I got brave and wiped the system using smart start utilities had to use 5.4 as later versions didn't like to do an assisted install.(I wanted to make sure I got the OS entry as Linux). Then used the netinstall disk from debian 3.1r4 this time with a 2.6 kernal. All worked ok, then reinstalled HPASM again all ok.
I now have debian 3.1r4 with 2.6 kernal running on a dual 1GHZ DL380 gen1 server with 512Mb ram and 4 X 18.2 Gb drives raid 5 with a 5i array controller. With fans running quiet....;-)
Thanks to all who offered advice...

Steve T.
Gert_6

Hi,
for a DL 380 G1, smartstart 5.5 is the latest version for setup.

Running Debian 4.0 rc1 etch and hpasm, you need to take care about the fans. Ok, it slows down at the beginning, but it never raises the speed on high temperature, but it completely shuts down the server.

It is crazy. We got the failure many times a night, when the air condition was broken, but almost acceptable for normal use.

So we look for a solution to keep the fans running at full speed oll the time !!

Where is the trick or the config ?