108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Faxing from HP9000 K250

SOLVED
Go to solution
FERGAL TAHENY
Occasional Contributor

Faxing from HP9000 K250

I am looking for software which can send faxes through a modem on a 10.20 box. Can anyone recommend a fax product which works well and is easy to set-up?

Also there are two ports on the HP9000 core IO card - one labelled internal modem and the other labelled external modem. I'm assuming that the port labelled 'external modem' is not a modem but rather a connection to which a modem can be added. Is this correct? Also I've seem software on the web which is compatible with class 2 and class 2.0 faxmodems. Can someone tell me if the internal modem on the K250 is Class 1 or Class 2?

Finally there isn't any difference between a modem and a fax modem - Is there?

Thanks,
Fergal
Work is the curse of the drinking classes
3 REPLIES 3
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Fergal,

I would recommend VISIFAX. It runs on HP9000's. http://www.uniworks.com/Products/Visifax.htm

Most modems today are fax capable, bit some antiques are not. Some fax modems can send and receive fax, while others can only send but not receive fax. You should consult the manufacturer of the modem in question. Visifax works with most Class 2 and Class 2.0 fax modems.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor
Solution

A free software option is hylafax-3.0pl0
A facsimile system for UNIX systems. A client-server application that allows you to send and receive facsimiles. Outgoing facsimile may be any format since there is a mechanism for deciding how to convert the document into a suitable format. Incoming facsimiles can be automatically delivered by mail and/or printed. Access to the facsimile service can be restricted to specified users and machines.

It can be found at:
http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu/

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I too use VsiFax as it designed to work with small to very large user communities (I have 3 D370's running VSI-Fax in 3 parts of the US for a total of more than 2,000 users.

Many modems are 'fax-compatible'. However, that usually means they were able to connect to a modern fax machine and send/receive a fax. That's a very different from a true fax modem which has been designed and tested with really old (or cheap) faxes running at 2400 baud and also compatible with faxes overseas (no, they aren't all the same).

The industry leader in fax modems is Multitech, and no, these external modems aren't $99 cheapo modems. They'll run about $350-400 each. However, unlike the vast majority of modems, they will accept inbound number-dialed tones and return this to the fax software for routing.

Suppose you have 25 people that each want a private mailbox. You can't afford 25 phones lines but you can order a couple of trunks that will respond whenever one of those 25 numbers is dialed. By using a trunkline number ID box, the line will be identified, sent to the modem before it starts the handshake tones and the fax software will route the fax to the right user.

And VSI-fax comes with web clients and admin managers plus a fairly sophisticated cover page generator. Servers can be 10.xx or 11.xx HP-UX systems (and many other brands) and clients on Win95/098/NT/2K, HP-UX and others.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin