1752806 Members
5728 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fbackup, Tar, Dump

Nalin Uduwawala
Advisor

Fbackup, Tar, Dump

Which is the best method on a HP-ux 10.20 running on hp9000 d330, with external 12gb dat drive using the same scsi channel that the disk drives use ?

I saw in the man pages that fbackup can give problems if the tape drive and disk drives (that are being backed up) are on the same scsi channel.

any help advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Life long Learning
8 REPLIES 8
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Re: Fbackup, Tar, Dump

Use ioscan -funC disk/tape to check hardware part.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Hi,

of course the best way is to plug the tape into a separate controller but if you have only one i think this only makes a slower performance.
In my knowledge the D330 has internal SCSI FWD (fast wide differential) bus for disk drives and a DDS tape has usually SCSI SE bus. If your DSS tape is single ended (SE) SCSI you have your already tape on a separate bus !

Regards

Andrew
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

I believe the best backup solution for you would be to use fbackup on HP-UX. The advantages are:
1) Can configure backups via SAM
2) Backups can span tapes
3) The ability to do incremental backups
4) Allows remote tape drives
5) Reasonably fast

I also agree with Andrew, Dxxx servers use a Fast/Wide interface for internal drives, whereas the DDS-3 tape drive uses a single ended interface.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

The comments regarding fbackup being the best method are correct. There is one significant problem though. fbackup is a propietory backup protocol to HP and is only supported on HPUX. If portability is an issue, cpio is preferred but is generally supported only by unix platforms. tar is understood by more platforms but is not very efficient.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

For the HP-UX platform, you probably cannot beat fbackup. But if you are going to be supporting or working on other platforms, you need to find a utility that will work on all of the UNIX flavors. For these utilities, tar, cpio, and dump and pretty much it. With these utilities you can cross platform flavors and not have to worry about being able to read your tape. Of these three, I would put tar at the bottom of the list, cpio second, then dump at the top of the list. To me, dump gives the best speed, keeps the permissions, and keeps the access times,
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Agreed, give me dump and vxdump any time!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a note on classic Unix utilities such as tar, cpio, pax, dump, etc. These utilties were designed when massive disk farms contained as much as 100 Mbytes of data (not Gigabytes) and when 32 bits was more than anyone would ever need for addressing. After all, 16 megs of core memory cost $4,000 back in the early 70's.

The standards for tar, cpio, etc are cast in concrete by the original design. There simply is no room in the headers to represent a file size larger than 2 Gb. While GNU tools will handle the larger files, these tapes are not interchangeable with other systems unless the same GNU tools are loaded. Largefiles are becoming quite common and some of these tools may be silently truncating the data...not good.

And with filesystems measured in 10's to 1000's of gigabytes, these antiquated tools are very inefficient and unreliable for anything but small file interchange. The inefficiency is seen in the lack of a central directory and no method to quickly position a tape to the desired location. For a 2 Gbyte backup, this is not much of a problem but on average, it will take 1/2 the time of the original backup to retrieve a file from the tape as the tape must be serially read.

Modern backup tools like fbackup or Omniback will place high speed search marks into the data stream every few hundred files. Then in the index file at the beginning of the tape, each file's position is recorded relative to the nearest leading search mark. Thus, frecover can restore a single file in a few minutes even if fbackup required two hours to reach the end of the tape.

Since the majority of reasons to run a file recovery process is due to user mistakes, often just one file or directory, waiting for hours for a restore to complete is not useful.

Also, fbackup understands multi-tape backups and can move a tape changer using the mc command in a chgvol script. This means that finding a file buried in a 5-tape backupp set is as simple as putting in the *last* tape, running frecover and folowing the instructions on which tape to insert for the actual recovery. Similar capability is builtin (no script needed) for Omniback.

Reliability is a very big concern today. With backups measured in dozens of gigabytes, if the backup does not work or the tape has a bad spot, tar/cpio/etc are useless. They have virtually no error recovery code built into the programs and thus, a single bad spot on the tape can leave the rest of the backup useless. Only very sophisticated )and expensive) data recovery services can salvage the tape.

Commercial tools like Omniback have several redundancies built-in along with I/O error recovery that will do the best it can with a bad tape. And these tools support multiple media paths for higher performance (ie, it will use 5 tape drives in parallel for 5x the performance).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

What Bill said.

If you don't like Omniback there are third party products which prvide similar functionaliy. Dump, tar, etc. are fine for small systems, but they are not a good solution for large/enterprise systems.