1748117 Members
3731 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fbackup file size restriction

Abhijit Nah
Occasional Contributor

Fbackup file size restriction

I am using HP Ultrium 3-SCSI tape drive on HP-UX 11.11. When I am trying to do a fbackup from a remote HP 11 server, even if the tape can handle 400/800 gig , its asking for a second tape. I calculated the size and its only 258 gig. Is there any size restriction for fbackup ?
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Fbackup file size restriction

Ensure that you have the latest patches relating to fbackup, tape and JFS

Refer to

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171406
Abhijit Nah
Occasional Contributor

I will check those patches. But, fbackup is working fine with smaller amount of data, even remotely. I tried backing up 210 gig and that worked fine.
The Tape device is attached to our Production server and and we use fbackup to backup the server every night. The size of the backup is closely 210 gig and that works without any problem.
Now I am trying to backup a remote server, which is a HP-UX 11.0 box and as I said earlier, the backup size is 258 gig. Its backing up some filesystems and then asking for a second tape. I have also tried to find out if I can restore something from the first tape and that succeeded too.

Do I still need to apply those patches ?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Beings you are working with obsoleted ( or almost ) OS versions you are slowly running out of options.

Get to the lastest patch and see if it resolves your issue. Even the latest stape driver patch may resolve. To cover all bases then make sure you have the latest bundle for 11.11 ( and the last posted 11.0 if you can find it ).

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Is the tape drive operating at the density
you think it is?

> I calculated the size [...]

That's nice. How?

Can you read the tape and see how much stuff
is actually being written to it?