New Discussion юеВ

Re: Few questions about Ignite-UX upgrade and net_recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary L
Super Advisor

Few questions about Ignite-UX upgrade and net_recovery

Hi

There is a HP-UX rp server of mine (HP-UX 11iv1 Ignite-UX c.6.1.44) was recovered through Ignite-UX net_recovery due to system could not re-startup. After recovery most all the applications, pathes were gone, include Ignite-UX. As we know, for make and recovery we must use same version of Ignite-UX. But, so far I could not find C.6.1.44 anymore, anywhere, HP just provide the latest version c.7.6.100 download. Does someone could post one for me here. Otherwise I need install/upgrade the Ignite-UX server and client version.

Question:

1. Someone (HP guy) said, if I need upgrade, I must remove old version from system and refresh install a higher one otherwise there will be some impacts, is that right?

2. Old version's archive file could be used by higher version of Ignite-UX. I mean, a made some net_recovery archive files through c.6.1.44, does the c.7.6.100 could used it, in other words whether I still could net_recovery system through the new higher version.

3. A year ago, I created a net_recovery archive file just use 400MB disk space, but today I did same task like a year ago - make_net_recovery, but failed due to "no enough space", I check the syslog said, Ignite-UX (c.6.1.44) ask over 5GB disk space for the make the archive file. Another Ignite-UX even ask 12GB disk space, is it correct. The same system the same Ignite-UX software, different size required. Nobody create /var such big, over 5GB.

Hope some professional cal could answer my above few questions, any answers will be very appreciate.

-G
12 REPLIES 12
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor
Solution

The website provides just latest version of Ignite. You should be able to get required version on HP's application CDs that HP sends periodically (If you have maintenance contract)

-USA..
Good Luck..
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi Uday

Thanks for your fast reply.

One more question, We do have the HP mainenace contract, I once order a lots of CD/DVDs from HP, include Core OS (Dec 2006 5 CDs, Dec 2007 7CDs), software Pack (Dec 2006), Applcation Software (Jun 2006 5CDs, Sep 2007 7CDs), etc. Which kind of CD and which CD number include Ignie-UX info, I think it should be 2006.

Thanks

-G
Gary L
Super Advisor

BTW, support plus dec 2007
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

The latest version of ignite for Ia64 servers also work with old images of both Ia64 and Pa-Risc.

This is not the case for newer version of ignite made for Pa-Risc.

So verify if you have any Pa-Risc servers and use the latest version of Ia64 Ignite to make new images for them.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

You should have information CD with INDEX file. All the necessary information on it. Now-a-days HP sends all application on one DVD.

-USA..
Good Luck..
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi Michael and USA

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Do you guys have some idea about the archive file size? Is it real need over 5GB-10GB disk space.

-G
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Just Ignite application does not require 2.5 GB or more.
Good Luck..
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Archive file sizes for make_net_recovery.

Depends:

The command line switches determine what is being imaged.
1) just required OS files
2) All of vg00
3) all of vg00 and mix of some other vgs.

If you use -x incl_entire=/dev/vg00 and you have applications installed in /opt then you will get a archive file that includes everything.

If you include other vgs then you will get that data also.

Most of my 11.23 image files with only the OS are about 2-3GB. An image with only required OS files would be less (beware that this will NOT be your entire OS install).

It is not recommended to include applications. Ignite is meant for OS recovery. Exclude other files from the ignite image find they would land in your include statement and back them and their data by a different method.

Gary L
Super Advisor

Why my make_net_recovery system need such big.

My steps are as below, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. ignite open Ignite-UX app
2. There already has a client there B, I create it a year ago via "Add New Client for Recovery". And I made a archive a year ago, that time no space issue, our /var just 4GB total. Like last year, I right click "Create Network Recovery Archive" and just follow the default values /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archive/B ... but fayed system ask 5GB disk space. BTW, I just choose "in full vg00" not include other VGs.
Which steps I'm wrong, /var just 4GB how to find 5GB free in /var. I know, I could create the archive file to another place, but I just wonder a year ago 1GB enough, current 3GB failed.

One more another question about Ignite-UX, just now I tried a Ignite-UX server to backup a client, the system message said "command access s using remsh to C was denied, would you like to make a second attempt supplying the root password?" Normally I type the root passwd in anther new session it will work go to the next recovery choosing page, but this time it stop after I type correct root passwd, long wait... for your experience, which part I need check and open. just now I checked, I could remote access client from server via "remsh", ftp, tftp, ping what's going on.

Thanks a lot.