108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fiber card replacement

SOLVED
Go to solution
balaji_vvv
Frequent Advisor

Fiber card replacement

It looks like one of our redunant FC card failed and we are planning to replace this?
Our current setup is server connected to the switch and then to the storage?
Will replacing the FC card requries any configuration change on the switch (zoning)
or just replace FC?
9 REPLIES 9
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

The new card will have a new ID..

zoning and lun masking will need to be updated.

"how to" depends on your switches and arrays.
balaji_vvv
Frequent Advisor

Thank you. The problem is i dont have access to the switch. Thanks for your reply though.
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,
>>Thank you. The problem is i dont have access to the switch.

Usually SA's are not having access to storage switches, after changing the FC card you need to ask the storage team to do the update you need to tell the new WWN no of the FC card.

Suraj
Jamie Willard_2
Frequent Advisor

If you provide the model of the switch we can aid in updating the zoning.
AnthonySN
Respected Contributor

>>It looks like one of our redunant FC card failed and we are planning to replace this?

first verify that the card had failed.
you can verify by checking it in the OS side.
it has to have 4 or 8 paths depending on the EVA.
btw what is you OS?
if hpux then
ioscan -fnC fc
should show fc as claimed.
AVV
Super Advisor

Hello,

There are multiple steps involved into this.

1. First be sure that the card is failed in the server side or any OS/driver issue using ioscan.
2. If you confirmed the card is failed, replace the card and get the new wwn number.
3. Now communicate with your storage team and know how they perform the zoning (port wise or WWN based). I believe, if it is port wised, you would not need to do any modifications anywhere at athe switch but you have to if it is WWN. Hope it helps you.

@AVV
balaji_vvv
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for your replies. I'm very new to this environment. The OS is 11iv1 and server is rp4xxx series and its connected to virtual disk array via the switch (hp storage works san switch) through fp. I'm physically seeing the card okie (steady green) and also OS shows 2 fp card.
vmunix: td: claimed Tachyon XL2 Fibre Channel Mass Storage card at x/x/x/x
vmunix: td: claimed Tachyon XL2 Fibre Channel Mass Storage card at y/y/y/y
But the problem is only one is active as i'm getting message when the server reboots (scheduled)

syslog: CVSDM; INFORMATION Event Code=400; Description=542:BACKEND_LINK_DOWN_EH A disk interface has been down for longer than the time allowed for normal recovery. Array function will continue without use of this channel.
Still i didnt go in depth as its critical prod server and dont want to messup.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

On the Fiber switch you need to login via the webpage and modify the zoning, update the zones containing the old HBA entry with the new one.

For the EVA array you need to login via command view and do the same.

( unless you are using some other software to manage your SAN. )

balaji_vvv
Frequent Advisor

The switch is not in the network at all. (no lan connection)! I will check with HP i actually having issue with this fc card.