1748213 Members
3072 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

File Table Full and not clearing

joe_91
Super Advisor

File Table Full and not clearing

We had the file table full message today on the 11.0 machine and the nfile was 50,000. the users were not able to login. we killed some processes and after that the nfile went to 5,500. But still some application users cant login. my question is

1. since the nfile got maxed out should i reboot to clear the kernel register although sar -v shows the current value as 5,500?

since 11.0 is not supported anymore is this caused by not patching since the patches are not available?
Please help

Thanks

Joe
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: File Table Full and not clearing

Well, since you are now well below nfile, that shouldn't be causing your login problem. I suspect that you now have another unrelated problem such as a full filesystem and that is what is preventing some of your user from logging in now. Of course, without any sort of additional error messages, I'm shooting in the dark.

Is there anything in syslog? Note: syslogd may have shut itself down if /var filled up --- even temporarily. You should see if there are any recent messages there and if syslogd is still running.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
joe_91
Super Advisor

Absolutely nothing in the syslog except the file table full message. is it true that once file table is full and then come back to acceptable level, a reboot is not required eventhough i might run 11.0? I know it should not matter, just a clarification

Thanks

Joe
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi JOe:

> is it true that once file table is full and then come back to acceptable level, a reboot is not required eventhough i might run 11.0?

Correct, there is no reboot necessary. As Clay said, it would appear that something else is preventing your login.

Regards!

...JRF...
joe_91
Super Advisor

OK. Found something very intresting in syslog..

load_modules: can not open module
/usr/lib/security/libpam_unix.1

Applications use xemulation to login...any ideas is this a missing library?

Thanks

Joe
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It might be a missing library but it could also be an artifact of hitting nfiles. Is this a recent entry (since nfiles is back to 5000 or so)?
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Giri Sekar

No. It is not it almost matches the time nfile was filling up. But wonder why it is not allowing login thru xemulator. i think reboot is the only way.

THanks

Joe
joe_91
Super Advisor

we are rebooting to see if the problem goes away.