3777 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: File corruption after Dec/2001 bundle on K class

Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

File corruption after Dec/2001 bundle on K class

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a really strange problem: After I apply the Dec/2001 patch bundle on my K class servers, all the hell breaks lose. I've experienced corruption in the /var/adm/sw/products/INDEX file (the most common ocurrence), /stand/vmunix (argh) and now the entire /sbin directory seems to have disappeared. It all happens in the reboot that follows the patch installation.

Curiously, the very same bundle didn't do any harm on any other server. The K class servers seem to be the ones affected.

Anyone see something like that?
Keeping alive, until I die.
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Marco:

I have no knowledge of this, but please post the bundle(s) you applied, the OS version and any details of how you installed. Thanks!

...JRF...
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Have you checked the system for hardware errors? Is there plenty of room in / and /stand?

HTH
Marty
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello James, Martin

Those are just plain 10.20 systems. I'm trying to install the Dec/2001 patch bundle. They do have plenty of space on all filesystems so I don't believe this could be an issue.

It's a very strange behavior indeed. I've tried installing in single and multi user modes. Something strange *always* happens.

I also checked sysdiag for any error entries. Nothing was found.

One strange point that I noticed is that filesystems always come back "dirty" after this reboot. I wonder how and if this has something to do with the problem. No files are moved to lost+found though.

I'm installing the whole bundle with autoreboot=true and match_target=true

Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Are you running PRM (Process Resource Manager)on the K's. I seem to remember some problems with reboots after the Dec 2001 and March 2002 Bundles, when applying against a PRM system.

I believe it had something to do with the pre-requisite patches for PRM. However, I think that it was only on 11.00.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown