5777 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: File system issues

TechC
Regular Advisor

File system issues

Hello list,
I have a strange issue with a file system.
What is happening is that I have an 10.20 box exporting a vxfs file system.
The filesystem is wide open permissions.
There is a script that outputs from the clients to this exported file system. It outputs a single file and if no file of the same name exists or if the file does exist and is owned by the same uid as the process outputting the file, then the output succeeds. However if the file exists and is owned by a different uid or user then an error occurs and says output failed. This existing file has -rwrwrw permissions so it should be world writable. Also the directory structures permissions all the way up to root are 777. On top of that the outputting group id are always the same as the group id of the existing files.

Also if I change the owner of the file on the box that contains the filesystem and then issue an ls -l from a client that has this file system mounted, there is a delay in the time the owner permission changes. Is that normal.

I am reading the mount_vxfs man page and it mentions delaylog and log but I do not quite understand the difference between the two. Can you explain what those are specifically and if it would have an effect on my situation? I see by default it sets delaylog, on the exporting host I changed it to log and the problem persists so I may be way off there. More likely on the client side I would think.

Any ideas what my issue may be?
This file system was initially HFS but the disk crashed and I created the filesystem on a new disk as vxfs. Would that have any impact or lead to the issue I am seeing? I mean there should be no issue vxfs or hfs I would think.
Any idea why I cannot overwrite the file if the permissions are rw-rw-rw- ?

Thank You guys
James
8 REPLIES 8
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

on the client side (where the filesystem is mounted to) what are the permissions on the mount point?

also, the entry for the "export" and the "mount" might be helpful.

TechC
Regular Advisor

Thank for the reply,
The export options in /etc/exports are as follows.
/mount_point -anon=65534

On the client (Linux)
fstab entry is.
server:/export on /mntpoint type nfs (rw,nfsvers=2,soft,intr,addr=192.168.0.5)

On the exporting system i can copy fine with cp but on the client it is giving the error.

Thank you
James
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"The export options in /etc/exports are as follows.
/mount_point -anon=65534

On the client (Linux)
fstab entry is.
server:/export on /mntpoint type nfs (rw,nfsvers=2,soft,intr,addr=192.168.0.5)"

if that's exactly what it says, its wrong, as you're exporting "/mount_point" and mounting "server:/export", which should have been "server:/mount_point"????

and (again) what are the permissions on the mount point on the client side (/mntpoint in the above)?
TechC
Regular Advisor

Old school,
The mount point and the export are fine. I just put it that way to protect the innocent. As I said the clients can mount the export fine.
The permissions on the mount point are 777 aka wide open.

From the client I can overwrite files on the mount as long as i own the file. But............If the file is owned by someone else that has the same primary gid as myself, then I get operation not permitted.
Some weird stuff man. I am thinking suid or maybe the largefiles option is throwing it off. Not sure if there is issues with NFS v2 and large files. Come on Old School dig, you got anything else?

: )
Thanks again
James
TechC
Regular Advisor

Guys,
This appears to be a client side issue with Linux from what i can see.
From HP-UX clients I can copy over files owned by other users no problem. But from Linux clients things do not work. I get operation not permitted. This is a vxfs filesystem but I do not think it matters does it??
Any mount options i am missing? I tried suid and defaults but it will not let me get past this..

NFSv2..exported from 10.20
Linux clients were able to copy over other users files before disk crash and switch to vxfs file system.
Permissions are wide open.
Can I use a tool to trace the errors somehow?
What could it be.

Here is the command used to create the file system.

mkfs -F vxfs -o ninode=unlimited,bsize=1024,version=3,inosize=256,logsize=1024,largefiles /dev/rdsk/c0t4d0 35566479

Thanks
James

SKR_1
Trusted Contributor

make the entry of the server in /etc/exports file ( short & full(dns) name )

server:/export /export nfs rw,suid,bg,soft,retry=4 0 0

try the above entry in /etc/fstab

Thanks

SKR
TechC
Regular Advisor

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately this did not work either. I tried using a simple copy command and it fails with this error.

cp: cannot create regular file:"filename" Operation not permitted

The file is owned by the same gid as mine and the permissions are rw-rw-rw-

Any ideas? Does it have to do with NFS on HP-UX 10.20?

Thank You
TechC
Regular Advisor

I never did figure this out although I think it has to do with vxfs om HP-UX 10.20 being exported over NFS. I had the admin there put a disk in and I formatted the disk as hfs and tar piped the data to the hfs disk and everything works fine. Strange issue.

Thanks to everyone who tried to assist.