Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FileCache effects on memory in 11.31

SOLVED
Go to solution
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

FileCache effects on memory in 11.31

With 11.23 and earlier, I used to set dbc_max_pct very conservatively. Now with 11.31, I currently don't change filecache_max at all and use the defaults.

However, some savvy users and developpers are noticing in glance that memory usage is almost at 100%, and they're seeing pageins/pageouts too. This is especially noticeable on servers that don't have much memory (8GB or less).

I simply tell them to substract the value of "FileCache" to have an approximation of what usable memory is left, and that the pageouts are probably fake and do not mean there is memory pressure... but is spreading this info actually true? Not sure. Is there any whitepaper somewhere that could help me understand what's going on so that I could give them a proper explanation?

I prefer keeping default setting whenever possible but many are currently misinterpreting the free memory report in glance (me included) and I can't blame them. Should I just reduce filecache_max and be done with it?

Olivier
7 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: FileCache effects on memory in 11.31

What does 'swapinfo -tam' show? What is the rate of pageouts?

If you are actually using device swap space, then there may well be memory pressure. If the pageout rate is into double or triple digits, then that can indicate memory pressure as well.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

swapinfo -tam output attached
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I'm also attaching a screenshot of what I'm seeing in glance's memory report. The paging rate is high but didn't stay like that for long.

Thanks
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You have or have had some memory pressure in the past. You are using 9% device swap so some memory pages have been pushed out to swap.

I would look into reducing memory consumption somehow. If it is via reducing FileCache, so be it.

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Reading Don's posts now.

Thanks !!
Duncan Edmonstone
Honored Contributor

Olivier,

There's a knowledge on demand webcast on the UFC here which might also be helpful:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-kod-unified-file-cache.html

I'm pretty sure there also used to be a detailed whitepaper on the UFC too - but it seems to have been removed - I'm out of the office right now, but will try and find out whether the removal was deliberate or an error some time next week...

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan