108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firefox doesn't start anymore

SOLVED
Go to solution
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Firefox doesn't start anymore

I ran my firefox through tusc and compared my tusc output to yours and at the top your file the obvious item that is missing is the SHLIB_PATH. In fact in your tusc output the SHLIB_PATH appears later on 3 times and it has bad syntax.
"SHLIB_PATH=/opt/firefox:=/opt/gtk2.6/lib/mre/mre-2.0.0.19" The syntax not only is wrong but the mre subdirectory does not exist.

My SHLIB_PATH is set to
"SHLIB_PATH=/opt/firefox:=/opt/gtk2.6/lib/mre/mre-2.0.0.12:/usr/lib:/etc/opt/resmon/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/graphics/phigs/lib:/opt/java1.4/jre/lib:/opt/gtk+2/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/gtk2.6/lib"

So I suggest that you create the SHLIB_PATH variable and export it in your shell before you invoke firefox. Note that the ":=/opt/gtk2.6/lib/mre/mre-2.0.0.12" is not a valid path neither it exists but it does not break the syntax for all the other library paths before and after the mre path.
H. van Niekerk
Frequent Advisor

>So I suggest that you create the SHLIB_PATH variable and export it in your shell before you invoke firefox.

I put your SHLIB_PATH in the script right before /opt/firefox/firefox. Unfortunately, firefox still doesn't start.
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please don't forget to assign some points who give there valuable time for your problem.

To know how to assign points please go through the below link.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Suraj
TTr
Honored Contributor

Did you export it?
/opt/firefix/firefox is a script that runs (not sources) another script, the /opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh which in turn run the firefox-bin.
Did you run ut again through tusc and did you check if the SHLIB_PATH is set as you put it in?
I would type in a shell

export SHLIB_PATH=/usr/lin:/....all paths here
/opt/firefox/firefox

If it still doesn't work, run it through tusc and post the tusc output.
H. van Niekerk
Frequent Advisor

>Did you export it?

Yes, I did.

>I would type in a shell

Didn't work out.

>If it still doesn't work, run it through tusc and post the tusc output.

Here's both tusc.out and the xhost output I got after "xhost +Somerset":

# /usr/bin/X11/xhost +Somerset
Xlib: connection to "Somerset:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
/usr/bin/X11/xhost: unable to open display "Somerset:0.0"
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

# /usr/bin/X11/xhost +Somerset

This is the problem you need to solve. This was the error message firefox was trying to print.

Does the command "xhost" print a list?
Can nslookup find Somerset?
H. van Niekerk
Frequent Advisor

>Does the command "xhost" print a list?

$ xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

# /usr/bin/X11/xhost
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
/usr/bin/X11/xhost: unable to open display "Somerset:0.0"

>Can nslookup find Somerset?

$ nslookup Somerset
Using /etc/hosts on: Somerset

looking up FILES
Name: Somerset
Address: 10.0.0.17
TTr
Honored Contributor

Why do you have the xhost running as a non root user ($ xhost), and as a root user (# /usr/bin/X11/xhost)? How are you loging in to the server? The tusc file you attached shows that you are running firefox as the huub user. Are you loging in as root and then doing su to the huug user?

You should login to CDE as a user and run firefox as the same user. Try loging in as root and run firefox as root and see if it starts up.
H. van Niekerk
Frequent Advisor

>You should login to CDE as a user and run firefox as the same user. Try loging in as root and run firefox as root and see if it starts up.

Good point. Now it turns out that as a normal user, the startfirefox script doesn't get firefox started, while as root it does get firefox started.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> as a normal user, the startfirefox script doesn't get firefox started

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. As a normal user, did you login to the main CDE screen so that the entire desktop belongs to that user?. No root logins and no "su"?