108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firefox3.0.10 Problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

OK, I swremoved both. I then tried swinstalling together as in 1). That didn't work, so I swremoved and tried swinstalling gtk, then firefox. That didn't work.

I'd be happy to play with SHLIB_PATH, though I can tell you that /opt/gtk2.6/lib is already there and I don't have a clue what else it might need.

Pete

Pete
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Take a look at this thread
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?&threadId=1352801

I know this is not for version 3 but the problem may be the order of SHLIB_PATH and whether you have duplicate sets of the same library package under /opt and under /usr/local.

Try starting firefox with the bare minimum libraries and see what it is looking for. Look at my last 4-5 rplies in the above thread and try running firefox from its installed location bypassing the startup script, as in (I assume the binary files are still the same)

export SHLIB_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/firefox
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, I remember that thread. Fascinating. It also worked again in this instance. Simply using your two line startup seems to have done the trick. I'll do some experimenting with SHLIB_PATH to see if I can figure out where the problem really lies, but, for the meantime, I can live with a modified startup - as long as it works.

Thanks!

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Holy cow! Is that pig slow, or what? Has anyone else had the joy of waiting and waiting and waiting? Duncan?

Pete

Pete
TTr
Honored Contributor

I just installed ver 3 as well. It is sloooooooooow.
I got the same error if I tried to start it up normally. It started up with the two-lin start up method above.

Then I added /opt/gtk+2/lib in the library path and it blew up again with the original error. Maybe there is a newer gtk+2 bundle.

I also remember from the tusk output in that other thread that firefox will be looking for a shared library in several places using the absolute path and using the paths in SHLIB_PATH. So I think that's where the problem is.

yes very slow... I only tried it the once though... does it set a bunch of stuff up first time - any faster after that???

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. As usual, you guys are the greatest.

Too bad that, after all that, I can't use the stupid thing because of it's slowness. I think I'm going to go back to Firefox V2 that I used to use, though I'm apparently going to have to mess with it's SHLIB_PATH, too. In the meantime, don't laugh, I've gone back to Mozilla and there were some things I really liked about it.

Anyway, this thread is:

_CCC______L__________OOO_______SSS______EEEEE_____DDDD
C___C_____L_________O____O_____S___S_____E__________D___D
C_________.L_________O____O_____S_________E__________D___D
C_________.L_________O____O______SSS______EEEE______D___D
C_________.L_________O____O_________S_____E__________D___D
C___C_____L_________O____O_____S___S_____E__________D___D
_CCC______LLLLL______OOO_______SSS______EEEEE_____DDDD

No further points will be awarded (unless, of course, I feel like it).

Pete

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I can't use the stupid thing because of it's slowness.

Thanks for the warning, I wonder if my server is fast enough?
Would you like me to notify the firefox team?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Well, it's about time you showed up, Dennis. Just kidding, but I really thought you would have been all over this thread as soon as I posted it.

As far as the slowness goes, all I can tell you is that it appears to be CPU bound and as soon as I try to do anything with it (like reload a page I'm viewing), the CPU utilization shoots right up to 90% or more and I can't tell whether it's actually doing something or not. So you end up clicking on something else, not sure you actually clicked on what you thought you did, and now you've compounded your problem.

I'm trying to run it on a C3000 workstation with 1 PA8500 400 Mhz cpu and 1GB of memory. I didn't bother trying it on anything else because it's really for my personal use and the C3000 is my personal platform. Your mileage may vary.

I would think the Firefox team would like to know about his, wouldn't you?

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

No, sorry, I can't help. I was completely unable to use it because it was so slow so I got rid of it. If you go through the above discussion, you will see that the startup issues appeared to have something to do with SHLIB_PATH. We got around that. I think what you need to do is work on the response time because nobody is going to be able to use it when it has multi-second response times.

Pete

Pete