108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Font changed in CDE application windows

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean Davis
Occasional Contributor

Font changed in CDE application windows

I am using HP-UX 10.20 and have a user who is experiencing a font change in their application windows. All window titles (including an hp-term window) and menu items have changed to cyrillic or greek lettering. Any ideas where I might find the source of this change? I have attached an example of the hpterm window that appears. I've looked in the user's profile and do not find any changes to fonts or languages. I know I can blow the user away and re-build, but would rather find the answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
When you see the light at the end of the tunnel, get out of the way.
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Font changed in CDE application windows

the most likely cause is an X/CDE resource .... or a change in the users font path :

xset -q should show details on the font path and font dirs being used : compare this with an unaffected user ?

CDE / application resources are generally saved in a users $HOME/.dt/sessions/ dir structure so either :

a) interrogate these files (& edit) it'll depending on whether they are being saved in a home or current session as to which dir structure under $HOME/.dt/sessions you go down into....

b) log out of CDE and perform a rm -R $HOME/.dt (you may want to make a backup first)
and see if the problem persists.

c) run xrdb -q (see man page) to see if you can see the resource that's causing this ... again could compare outputs from good/bad user ?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

It's probably also worth checking the $LANG & $LOCALE settings and ensuring /etc/kbdlang is set correctly but if OK for other users .....

stty -a and cs8 settings etc may also be worth comparing ?
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Sean,

has your user toyed around with "options" of the CDE-login-screen???

Just a guess,
Wodisch
Sean Davis
Occasional Contributor

Alex,

Your suggestions pointed me to the source of the problem. I looked through the reports that you suggested and did not see any differences other than font sizes. Upon changing the font size the problem goes away. However, if I want to change back to a font size of (1) the problem comes back. I checked my "good user" and see the same scenario so now I am suspecting the font located on the font server as being the culprit.

Thanks for your help.

Sean
When you see the light at the end of the tunnel, get out of the way.