108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Forgot the root password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Logan Ramasamy
Occasional Advisor

Forgot the root password

One of our system was shutdown for a year. Our System Admin left without informing anybody about the root password. How do I start the system in single user mode and reset/ change the root password. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Forgot the root password

Power up the machine, interrupt the boot process. Then boot off your primary boot disk and say yes when asked if you want to interact with the ISL. At the ISL prompt, type in hpux -iS. This will boot up the system into single user mode. At the prompt, change the root password using the passwd command.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1.Power On the System
2. Interrupt Bootting process (Press a Key in 10 sec)
3. Yes for interacting ISL
4. hpux -iS for Single user mode
5 passwd command for changing root password

Good Luck
-USA...

Good Luck..
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Logan,

To boot the system in single user mode, you have to interrupt the boot process. At the boot prompt, type

bo pri

This will boot the system from the primary path. Select "Y" to interact with IPL. At the IPL prompt type "hpux -is"
IPL>hpux -is

This will boot the system in single user mode and you can use the "passwd" command to set the new password.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Logan Ramasamy
Occasional Advisor

I tried starting in single user mode and change the root password. It gave an error msg, when typed in "passwd root" command, not an isl command. Thanks.
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Logan,

Looks like a busy day ;-)

Another thing you could do is back up the password file (cp /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.bk) and then edit the password file and remove the encrypted passwd for root.

-Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Logan,

The passwd command will work only once the system is booted in to single user mode. Did your system boot into single user mode. At the IPL prompt you have to type "hpux -is" to boot the system into single user mode. Once into single user mode you can change the password.

first type "bo pri" after interrupting the boot process when the system says press any key within 10 seconds to interrupt the boot process. It will ask you whether you want to interact with IPL, select "Y" It will boot and come to the IPL> prompt. At the ipl prompt type "hpux -is". This will boot the system into single user mode.

thanks
Logan Ramasamy
Occasional Advisor

It is not only a busy day, it is long too for a oracle DBA to figure out things in the absence of Unix Admin. I did exactly the same as per your suggestions. The sequence is

Autoboot from primary path enabled.
To override, press any key within 10 secs.

I pressed Esc key.

Boot from primary boot path (Y or N?) Y
Interact with IPL (Y or N?) Y

ISL>hpux -is
ISL> passwd

Not an isl command or utility.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Logan:

ISL> hpux -is boot

...then when in single-user mode:

# /sbin/passwd

Regards!

...JRF...
Logan Ramasamy
Occasional Advisor

Hi JRF,

Now it says, Isl command or utility name exceeds 10 characters. Thanks.