1752790 Members
6515 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Forward Zone (selective fowarder) in BIND 8.1.2

Mad_1
Regular Advisor

Forward Zone (selective fowarder) in BIND 8.1.2

Does anyone know whether "Forward Zone" is supported in BIND 8.1.2?

By the way, as BIND 8 is going to be obsolete, I am going to upgrade my BIND 8.1.2 to BIND 9.2.0 on HP-UX 11.0. I am studying on BIND 9.2.0, is there any concern or significant change in configuration/behaviour that I should aware in the upgrade?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

At least according to the O'Reilly "DNS and BIND" book (3rd ed.) BIND 8 can set forwarding only as all-or-nothing basis. There seems to be no way to set up forwarding for individual zones.

BIND 9 series has been completely rewritten, and some obscure options may have been dropped in the process. Some default settings have also changed.

Note that you can set up BIND 9.2 to change itself into a non-root user after startup. BIND 9.2 is also relatively easy to get running inside a chroot jail, if you want to go for maximum security.

BIND 9.2 has "secure DNS" functions (TSIG and whatnot), and those would benefit from having a /dev/random or some other source of good randomness available. On HP-UX 11i that is easy, just install the "strong kernel RNG" depot from software.hp.com.
MK
Mad_1
Regular Advisor

Why I asked about "Forward Zone" is that I saw a document about new feature of BIND 8.2:

http://www.acmebw.com/resources/papers/bind82.pdf

It mentioned about "Forward Zones".

I have to setup a forwarder to forward query of specific zone to a DNS servers beyone the firewall. If I just turn on the forwarder, all queries that my internal DNS servers don't have record will forward to the outside DNS servers. Therefore, I want to configure only specific "zone" queries will forward to outside DNS servers.
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

L.S.

I searched in docs.hp.com for information on upgrading from 8.1.2 to 9.2.0.

There are some documents there. Did you read them, especially the release notes of 9.2.0 that deal with upgrading from 8.1.2?

I cannot find forward zones in the documentation of 8.1.2.
I cannot find BIND 8.2.0 on software.hp.com.

Success,

JP