1748067 Members
5344 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Free space on two differents volume groups

Karla Odette Delfin Fer
Occasional Contributor

Free space on two differents volume groups

Hi, if possible to put togueter the free space that i have in two differents volume group on one logical volume(example. in vg01 i have 150G free and in vg02 i have 150Gb freee, i want to create a /oradata of 300G is posible???))

thx a lot.
5 REPLIES 5
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Short answer is no.
Bur there is a possibility if your data is not picky. You can create 2 separate logical volumes, mount them as two separate filesystems and if your data is not required to be a file in one big chunk, i.e, you will have multiple subdirectories, you can link a subdirectory from your main mount point to the second lvol/filesystem. But if you need to create a filesystem for a, say a database container file, you are out of luck. Sorry.

thx for your answere... =)

have a nice day
INH
Regular Advisor

Hi
You can not club freespace of two differenbt VG and create one logical volume. However it is possible to create different logical volume and distribute Oracle data files ( if it teh requirement is for Oracle f/s. depends on the requirement of DBA)

HTH

Regards,
INH
Knowledge is power
sarfaraj ahmad
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

That is not possible but if you have free space in your LV then you can reduce the size of LV and create a new LV with free extents and mount it as a new mount point.
before proceeding please carefully check the man page of lvreduce.
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi,

For doint u have to vgextend within these volume group and create lvol which is ur required.Before doing u have to take full backup of these volume group.

Cheers//
Taifur