New Discussion юеВ

Re: From RAID 5 to RAID 1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Akif_1
Super Advisor

From RAID 5 to RAID 1

Hi All,

I have a HP-UX(11iv3) Server and would like to migrate from RAID 5 to RAID1.

After taking full backup si it is possible to bring back the above OS with Oracle Application to its normal position.

What steps to follow to bring back the HP-UX OS and Oracle Application to its normal production after migration of RAID5 to RAID1.

or do i need to again install HP-UX OS and Oracle Application server from scratch level.

Keep smiling :)

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to HP-UX > sysadmin -HP Forum Moderator

T(ogether) E(very one) A(chive) M(ore)
4 REPLIES 4
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello,

what kind of disk storage are you using ? Is it a Smart Array controller in conjuction with a disk enclosure or an external disk array ?

In general, migrations between RAID levels are hardware based when using either an SA card or an array like EVA or XP series. This would mean that the migration is transparent to the operating system. You need to primarily take care of the following points:

1.) The migration must be supported by the RAID controller
2.) make sure you have sufficient disk space
3.) perform the action during a mainteinance window or during a period of low workload

The integrity of your data should not be affected so if you decide to shutdown applications and the database for the period of migration, you should perform regular startup checks afterwards.

In all cases, make sure you have valid backups.

J.

Akif_1
Super Advisor

Hi,

There is no external storage , Migration to be done on server disk only , So if it moved from RAID 5 to RAID 1 , I hope OS will definitely corrupted and about oracle application iam not sure .

Or any try we can migrate safely without losing anything like (OS and oracle application configuration).

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

You cannot migrate from RAID5 into RAID1 on the same internal disks in a server simply because the disk capacity of your RAID5 cannot be stored on a RAID1 array.

Do the simple math and take the simplest example with a three disk RAID5 and a two disk raid1 and you know i.e.

3* 100 GB RAID 5 = 200 GB usable for data
2* 100 GB RAID 1 = 100 GB usable for data

Even if the real user data stored on the disks is only 50 GB, the hardware controller is not aware of customer data, it only works at the array/logical drive level.

So it is a full backup/delete array/re-create array/re-store procedure like you already guessed.

HTH

Kris
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Thanks all for a valuable support in need .......