4949 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Full system recovery on alpha DS20

mico85
Occasional Visitor

Full system recovery on alpha Ds20

Hello to all,

I really need help on this one. We have some old Alpha Ds20 servers running Compaq Tru64. Two days ago in one of them we had HDD and Raid failure. Both of the HDDs configured in RAID 1 were broken. On those HDD resided the / partition so the server went immediately off. Hopefully this was a test environment so no production affected. I created the Raid with two new HDD and I continued with the restore procedure( I had to read pages from the books we received years ago) .

I boot from the Installation CD and I exit install gui. I run hwmgr view devices to check the new hdd and there are displayed all three of them ( 6 HDD on Raid 1). But when I issue disklabel -t advfs wr /dev/disk/dsk0a I get he following error :

disklabel: not a character device /dev/disk/dsk0a

It is driving me crazy

Can anyone help ?????

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to Tru64 UNIX > System Administration. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Full system recovery on alpha Ds20

mico85
Occasional Visitor

First of all thank you. Yes I fixed the disklabel problem I made a rookie mistake :). As for the RAID: There are 6 U320 HDDs configured each pair on RAID 1. I checked them with the hwmgr and i was able( at least i think i was ) to identify the new pair and i created disklabel according to the new disk ( in my case dsk1, configured dev/disk/dsk1a as block device and dev/rdisk/dsk1a as character device).

Is there any way to find out the newly added disk (RAID) form the maintenance shell ? In my case i compared the total number of sectors from disklabel -p output to identify the right one and that was easy because the new ones are half the size of the others. If i am not clear i want to get the naming for the new hdds.

Kind regards

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>There's probably a way to ask a moderator to move it

I've already asked that it be moved.