Other HPE Product Questions
1753481 Members
5049 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: GDM Login prompt not showing ( Redhat Linux Workstation 6.7 )

Vincent_5
Super Advisor

GDM Login prompt not showing ( Redhat Linux Workstation 6.7 )

Hi ,

Can  anyone help, i have a z820 workstation install with redhat linux ws 6.7 . Someone install some apps on it and now after reboot a graphics screen show with mouse cursor but gdm login screen not showing . So i bypass it by using key ctrl alt f2 and I can login from prompt in text mode. There , I try to run startx which the gui started and I can see the desktop icon only inside the gnome-panel is not visible. Can someone advice??

Regards

Vincent

nothing is better than to know more
9 REPLIES 9
simplylinuxfaq
Frequent Advisor

At first look, i guess it is because of corrupted or missing "nautilus" package. Check and re-install this package..

Thanks,
SimplyLinuxFAQ
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
I have try reinstalling Nautilus , gdm, gnome and it still doesn't work . Kindly help. Attach is the screen shot before and after login
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi ,
Attach is the screen shot after using key ctrl alt f2

Regards
Vincent
simplylinuxfaq
Frequent Advisor

- Does this happens to any users whoever tries to login via GUI or to any specific users?
- From runlevel 3, try switching to runlevel 5 and record error messages:

#init 5

- Check if the required package groups are loaded for X display (run the below command)

#yum grouplist|awk '/Installed Groups/,/Installed Language Groups/'

- Check out for space availabilty of /tmp if set as different from root:

#df -PTh /tmp

- Check out if xserver is up:

#ps -ef|grep X
root 112592 112576 0 May28 tty1 00:00:00 xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /root/.serverauth.112576
root 112593 112592 0 May28 tty7 00:00:31 /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /root/.serverauth.112576

- Look out for errors/warning related to "X or display" in /var/log/messages & /var/log/Xorg.* files.

Thanks,
SimplyLinuxFAQ
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

This is the wrong company for printers and PC products. You need to register in the HP Inc. Support Forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi ,

When I run gnome-session & , it prompt gdm-binary failed to acquire org.gnome.displaymanager. Kindly advice

Regards

Vincent

Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi ,

Attach are the error from messages for your referrence, kindly help ??

Regards

Vincent

simplylinuxfaq
Frequent Advisor

Re-configure your X using the below commands:

# Xorg -configure

# mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

After this switch to runlevel 5 and check if that works. 

Thanks,
SimplyLinuxFAQ
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

@Vincent_5 wrote:

Attach are the error from messages for your referrence, kindly help ??

That is a stack trace, so it looks like gdm is crashing.

Reading the stack trace from the bottom upwards: at #23 there is the main() function of gdm, where the gdm originally started. #22 - #20 seems to indicate that gdm was just about to set up the "greeter" (i.e. the GDM login prompt).

Lines #19 .. #11 are related to libgobject, so probably handling some Gnome internal stuff; however #15 tells us it's about the libgnomekbdui library and the gkbd_indicator_new() function, so it appears to have been doing something related to keyboard. #10 .. #8 confirm that: the execution has proceeded from the libgnomekbdui library to the libxklavier library, which is the library for X Keyboard Extension (XKB). That is the current way in the X11 protocol to query and/or set keyboard layouts.

Lines #7 ... #4 indicate that libxklavier is using libxml2 to apparently read and parse some XML file. It was running a string comparision in #4, when something bad happened and the gdm process received a signal (#3) that probably triggered the crash dump and death of gdm. The top lines (#2 .. #0) are probably related to the clean-up of a multi-threaded gdm process and not essential for the analysis.

So: it appears that gdm was about to do something related to keyboards or keyboard layouts, and was just trying to read some XML file related to that when it crashed. It might be some bad XML, but if that causes libxml2 to crash then it is a bug in libxml2. Or it might be that libxklavier passed a bad pointer to libxml2, in which case it might be a bug in libxklavier, or maybe even one of the other libraries if libxklavier just handed over a pointer it received from elsewhere.

The only XML files related to XKB I know of are located in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules directory. You should probably use "rpm -V xkeyboard-config -v" to verify that all the files in the xkeyboard-config RPM are undamaged (i.e. all lines output by the rpm -V command should start with a sequence of 9 dots (".........").

The latest RHEL 6.x is now 6.9, so you might want to check if there are any updates for xkeyboard-config, gdm, libxml2, libxklavier or glib2 and try installing them. Alternatively, try configuring the system for the US keyboard layout: if that fixes the problem, there might be an error in the keyboard layout data or keyboard layout settings.... but it should not be causing gdm to crash, so you may have found a bug anyway,

MK