New Discussion юеВ

GENICOM 3810S with HP Jet Direct

SOLVED
Go to solution
djoshi
Frequent Advisor

GENICOM 3810S with HP Jet Direct

Hi All,

We have a GENICOM printer 3810S configured with HP Jet Direct BOX.

PROBLEM:- The GENICOM printer is not returning carriage return if we are connecting printer with a parallel port. It works fine with a serial port.

We have other non GENICOM printers connected with jet Direct and all are working fine with the parallel port.

Please advise us why the GENICOM printer is not returning carriage return, if we are connecting with parallel port?

Thanks,
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: GENICOM 3810S with HP Jet Direct

HP-UX does not have a CR at the end of ASCII files. Therefore, either the printer script or a setting in the printer must be used to add the CR whenever the LF character is seen. The default for most printers is to print what is sent to it so from HP-UX, a plain ASCII file simply steps across the page and off the right edge.

Now serial versus parallel is confusing. Are you connecting the printer to a JetDirect box using a serial cable? When you mentioned JetDirect BOX, I assumed that all your printers connect to a JetDirect box through a parallel or USB cable. I can't remember whether there was ever a serial version of the JetDirect BOX.

Anyway, I would look at the Genicom manuals for switches and options that control the CR/LF behavior. It is much simpler (and more accurate) to let the printer handle CR/LF.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
djoshi
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your reply.

FYI.... We are connecting printer via Jet Direct parallel port only.

Waiting for you to advise me further to troubleshoot this.

Thanks
djoshi
Frequent Advisor

Thx for reply.

We changed the Emulation to IBM and it works.

Thx