1753629 Members
5493 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

General Question - RFP Requirements

Greg Stark_1
Frequent Advisor

General Question - RFP Requirements

I'm writing a technical requirements document to be used during RFPs for new applications that could potentially be housed on our existing UNIX servers. Although some of the requirements will be specific to a preferred environment (i.e. we use Oracle, VCS, etc...), I was wondering what things I could include of a more general, UNIX best practices nature.

Anybody already done something similar?

Thanks,
GS
2 REPLIES 2
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: General Question - RFP Requirements

A good starting point could be if the business users want high availability or not, i.e. serviceguarded environment or not. Then comes disk requirements. How big of a space they need on your storage system. Another concern is, how cpu and/or I/O intensive the application is, so that proper sizing for the CPU, network and fiber channel adapters can be done.

Also on the more technical side, the sockets this application uses, minimum kernel values it requires, comes to mind. sockets aspect is especially important if you are housing multiple applications on the same server without any virtual or physical partitioning.

Hope this at least gives you a starting point idea.

Re: General Question - RFP Requirements

Hi Greg,

Please find my suggestion adding to the above,

Adding to the above,

Do you need a pre-production test (like Users testing, Performance Testing)
Do you have the skills to deliver the project or require addition unix skills
Do you have the existing infrastructure to hosts this application or need additional h/w
Do you need any licence
What about the high level planning with time scales of implementation
Meet the Business(end) users to have better understanding what exactly thay are looking for
Before deciding have a meeting about what the proposal and whether all concerned are fine.
What is the organisation benifit - ROI

Chan