System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gentoo install does not boot on Proliant ML110 (RAID,grub)

Willem Swart
Occasional Visitor

Gentoo install does not boot on Proliant ML110 (RAID,grub)

I tried three options to install Gentoo, all with the same result that the boot device could not be found.

1) No RAID: Deleted the RAID array using the Embedded SATA RAID controller setup utility, set RAID to IDE in the BIOS, installed gentoo and could not boot with a message to insert a boot device or press any key to reboot.
fdisk -l showed no bootable partition. I set the bootable flag for the boot partition, but upon rebooting, got a message that the operating system could not be found.

2) HW RAID: Created a RAID1 array, set BIOS IDE to RAID, installed Gentoo, with same result as 1. Gentoo does not see a RAID array, and during the partitioning phase showed /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

3) Software RAID:
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
Also with same result.

I don't really need RAID and would prefer disabling it. How can I disable RAID? I see that only SUSE and Redhat SATA RAID controllers drivers are supported.

Is it a grub problem?
Is it a RAID problem?

I don't know much about this and any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. I have tried the Gentoo forum, without success.

Thanks
Willem
1 REPLY
Shoghi Martinez G.
Honored Contributor

Re: Gentoo install does not boot on Proliant ML110 (RAID,grub)

What about using other distro? CentOS or Fedora, you can try to see if there is a problem with your specific distribution.