108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Get the system time from other hosts

SOLVED
Go to solution
peterchu
Super Advisor

Get the system time from other hosts

I have a linux server ( host A ) that setup the NTP for time update on my system , so I want all the server syn. the system time from this server , I also have a unix server ( host B ) , how can I let the unix server ( Host B ) can get the system time from the linux server ( host A )? I simply use the command "rdate -s hostA" on the linux system to get the system time , but this command is not work on UNIX sytem , please suggest what can i do ? thx.
5 REPLIES 5
SureshKumar_2
Valued Contributor
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You could use the Network Time Protocol.

man xntpd.

Check the search engine on this subject eand you will find a lot of related issues.

HTH,

Gideon

peterchu
Super Advisor

thx replies , if setup NTP client on unix server , do the unix server need to connect the internet ? thx.
SureshKumar_2
Valued Contributor

Hi

Did u configured Linux server as NIS client / server???

If u had configured as server - u can configure ur unix server to refer the linux server itself, instead of Internet server.

If u had configured as client - U have to use Internet server.

Hope this meets ur requirement.

suresh
Things are very easy, when u know about it...
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

As others mentioned, just use the NTP client software on the UNIX box and point it to the Linux box to get its time. There's no need for the UNIX box to need to see the Internet. That's the responsibility of the Linux server (if you have it configured to synchronize time from NTP servers on the Internet).

Regards,
Seth