1753878 Members
7052 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Getting "command not found" after sudo upgrade

f. halili
Trusted Contributor

Getting "command not found" after sudo upgrade

Sudo was upgraded to 1.7.1. When a command is called via sudo I'm getting "command not found" now.

Sample:
$ sudo vault
Password:
sudo vault: command not found.

Please note that vault is on /opt/dba/sudo. I workaound I do now is - I run $ sudo /opt/dba/sudo/vault, it works fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
f. halili
derekh
12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Is /opt/dba/sudo in your PATH?

echo $PATH

If not, that is your problem. The directory needs to be part of your path.
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

I think there are two version of sudo, one is located in /etc while the other is in /opt/dba/. You might have installed a different sudo. What I did is put a link in /etc to make it work.
Bijeesh
Respected Contributor

hi

since it is working after giving full pathname
the problem may be due to the $PATH.
Add /opt/dba/sudo to your PATH variable.
f. halili
Trusted Contributor

This "sudo vault" is for the data center users that we have. In the /opt/sudo/etc/sudoers file, the

"Cmnd_Alias NETBKUP /opt/dba/sudo/vault"

is defined. Adding /opt/dba/sudo to the PATH seems to open up that directory?

Thanks,
f.halili
derekh
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>> Adding /opt/dba/sudo to the PATH seems to open up that directory?

How so? If the users require sudo to execute anything from that directory, what is the problem?

Having the full path to the command in sudoers does NOT mean that you only have to type the command name. Sudoers tells sudo what users are authorized to use. The system still has to be able to get to the command.

f. halili
Trusted Contributor

The "/opt/dba/sudo" is in the PATH, and has not changed. So when I was working with the user ealier, we are getting the error even with the PATH defined.

Below is the echo $PATH of the user who will the running the 'sudo '

echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/usr/contrib/Q4/bin:/opt/perl/bin:/opt/ipf/bin:/opt/nettladm/bin:/opt/fcms/bin:/opt/ssh/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/opt/sec_mgmt/bastille/bin:/opt/dsau/bin:/opt/dsau/sbin:/opt/resmon/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:/usr/contrib/kwdb/bin:/opt/wbem/bin:/opt/wbem/sbin:/opt/graphics/common/bin:/opt/sec_mgmt/spc/bin:/usr/sbin/diag/contrib:/opt/hpsmh/bin:/opt/upgrade/bin:/opt/mx/bin:/opt/perf/bin:/opt/ignite/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/binutils/bin:/opt/zip/bin:/opt/sudo/bin:/opt/gtar/bin:/opt/gfind/bin:/opt/dba/bin:/opt/vim/bin:/opt/ssh/bin:/opt/mozilla:/usr/contrib/bin/X11:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin:/opt/dazel35/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin:/opt/java/bin:/opt/dazel35/bin:/opt/dba/bin:/opt/dlc91e/bin:/opt/dba/sudo:.

Thanks,
f. halili
derekh
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Perhaps try putting /opt/dba/sudo at the beginning of the PATH variable and see if that helps.

I do not recall if there is a maximum length for the PATH, but this would be a good test.
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Is there a real sudo in /opt/dba/?
f. halili
Trusted Contributor

Hi Patrick,
I tried putting /opt/dba/sudo at the start of the PATH and still got the same result.

Hi Tingli,
The /optdba/sudo is a directory, and there is no real sudo there as well.

Thanks,
f. halili
derekh