5657 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Group name changed after bundle patch applied on HPUX 11iv1

Ming Wong
Frequent Advisor

Group name changed after bundle patch applied on HPUX 11iv1

Hi,

User group name was changed to number on HPUX 11iv1 after bundle patch applied. Anyone have experience or suggestion?

Thanks, Ming
5 REPLIES 5
Akram Shaik
Frequent Advisor

Hi
what was it changed to?
when everyting is coming your way then you are in the wrong lane
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

What do you mean changed to a number. The OS stores group and user info as numbers. those numbers are then translated by accessing the info in the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files. Sounds more like your /etc/group file was modified somehow. do you have a backup of the /etc/group file?
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The group wasn't changed, you are now just seeing the GID of the group the user was part of. Likely the /etc/group file was removed or emptied or the permissions were changed.

The /etc/passwd and /etc/group files must be world readable to allow users to see user and group names when doing an 'll'.

The permissions on both files should be 644 (-rw-r--r--). You could even do 444 (-r--r--r--) as root can modify any file.

Check the contents and the permissions of /etc/group and see what you find.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Court: Sounds more like your /etc/group file was modified somehow.

If you use NIS, you don't really have anything in your passwd and group file and you have to have the proper demons running. By stoping and starting you can fix it. Having id(1) return just numbers for yourself is a sign.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info Dennis. But since Ming never mentioned NIS, I am just going to assume he is not using it. I can only give answers based on the information provided.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"