Operating System - HP-UX
1753916 Members
8107 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HELP! regarding device file /dev/tty's (HP-UX 10.20) and /dev/pts's (HP-UX 11.0) of TELNET teletd

ivanng
Occasional Advisor

HELP! regarding device file /dev/tty's (HP-UX 10.20) and /dev/pts's (HP-UX 11.0) of TELNET teletd

Hello all! nice to meet you!!

My question is very simple as follows,

In HP-UX 10.20, TELNET uses device file under /dev/tty's

But in HP-UX 11.0 TELNET uses device file under /dev/pts's instead of tty.

Due to some reasons (compatiblality of an application with the HP OS), is it possible to change the device file used in TELNET under HP-UX 11.0 back to /dev/tty's instead of using /dev/pts's (by default)???
(i know it is part of problems of the executables of telnet, telnetd, tels something like that)

And, the most important is, how to make such changes??? Can any HP-UX professionals can tell?

I appreciate if 'you' can tell me.

Thanks a lot!!!!

peace.

Ivan

Moved from HP-UX Technical Documentation to HP-UX > sysadmin

17 REPLIES 17
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP! regarding device file /dev/tty's (HP-UX 10.20) and /dev/pts's (HP-UX 11.0) of TELNET teletd

Simplest way would be to create the directory yourself and use either hard or soft links to the pty's.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
ivanng
Occasional Advisor

Re: HELP! regarding device file /dev/tty's (HP-UX 10.20) and /dev/pts's (HP-UX 11.0) of TELNET teletd

hi, mark,

really thanks for your FAST reply.
;)

anyway, i don't understand much on what you mean. ;(

Umm..in my case, i just want to use device file, /dev/tty's under HP-UX 11.0 when receiving client TELNET's request.

Thanks!
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

As Mark said:

Use ln command create a soft/hard link.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

1. Please avoid posting same queestions more than once.

If you can let us know why you have to do this , we will work out a better solution rather than linking devicefiles which is really time consuming

Regds,

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Ivan,

Create your /dev/tty directory and use "ln" to link all the files in your "pty" directory to the /dev/tty directory. These links will mean you have two names for each pty. The original one and your linked one. Both will be functionally equivalent.

This might not be enough for you but I think it's the best you can do.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
ivanng
Occasional Advisor

Again, thanks for the reply, Sanjay, Kapil and Mark.

Umm.. it is difficult to tell the whole story here. Maybe I make a summary.

We need to migrate a application form HP-UX 10.20 to HP-11.0

After we upgrade the OS to 11.0, the application fails to be run from terminal client connection through TELNET. I can login but when i tried to execute application functions, there is an error.

Instead, it is ok for the console login (throught COM port directly using like hyperterminal). The application works perfectly. Here we found that the there is no problem of the application with device files used in OS HP-UX 10.20 is under /dev/tty's, while the problem exists in HP-UX 11.0 with device file changed to /dev/pts's. It seems application cannot the output to /dev/pts's, but only output to /dev/tty's.

So.........
That's why I am asking if the device file, /dev/tty's (like /dev/ttypd etc.) can be used instead of /dev/pts's (like /dev/pts/ta) under HP-UX 11.0

ivanng
Occasional Advisor

Attached please find the device used in HP-UX 11.0 and HP-UX 10.20 under TELNET session.

KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

What is the error ?. Is it a shell script ?

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
ivanng
Occasional Advisor

the error is,

"Redirection or piping of stdin or stdout is allowed only with -b. (156)"

which displayed on screen

honestly, i am not 100% the problem is related to device file.

But seems it is a problem of the change on TELNET, telnetd (like device file i mentioned) between HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0

;(