New Discussion юеВ

Re: HOSTNAME vs NODENAME

SOLVED
Go to solution
Helen French
Honored Contributor

May be this document will give some information (TKB #S3100000875):

http://support2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000047556885

Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Shiju,

Thanks...
So it appears that unless the env parm NODENAME is explicitly set by someone or a script, then NODENAME is pulled from the HOSTNAME field in netconf - correct?

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Kim Kendall
Regular Advisor

ok... uname -S gets them sync'd back up, but after a reboot... it reverts back to what it was and now NODENAME != HOSTNAME.

I had already tried to run set_parms hostname but that doesn't sync them up.

Does anybody know where uname is getting it's nodename variable from?
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

The uname information is not, to teh best of my knowledge, stored in any flat file. The uname commands point to a structure in kernel memory (if my kernalized memory serves me well) defined in utsname.h. Normally, when a system boots the /sbin/init.d/hostname script will run the uname -S command to set the uname value to be equal to the root of the HOSTNAME variable (everything before the first ".", in case a domainname is specified) defined in /etc/rc.config.d netconf.

See:
man uname (2 and 1M)
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff:

If NODENAME is undefined, HOSTNAME is used. Have a look at '/sbin/init.d/hostname'. You will see that 'uname -s...' is issued based on HOSTNAME if NODENAME is empty.

Regards!

...JRF...
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Did you check for a parameter "NODENAME=" in the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file ?

Check the above pointed link.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Kim Kendall
Regular Advisor

yes i did... and removed it.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

OK great thanks guys...

Kim,
So then it appears there has to be a script or a person setting the env var NODENAME for them to get out of sync.

Think you've got some detective work to do.

Good Luck,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Kim:

Yes, you lose the nodename manually set after a boot. As I indicated, declare it as NODENAME in '/etc/rc.config.d/netconf'.

See also my post above, regarding '/sbin/init.d/hostname'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

If it is being set incorrectly after reboot, then you have an incorrect HOSTNAME variable being set in /etc/rc.config.d/*. It might not be in netconf, though. I suspect that someone did something like cp netconf netconf.bak, and then changed the hostname in netconf. Tis is a bad thing. The /sbin/init.d/ sequence sources ALL of /etc/rc.config.d/* when establishing environmental variables for sacripts. So if netconf.bak comes after netconf in an ls, then it has teh values which will be used.