108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 3PAR and exported LUNs

SOLVED
Go to solution
sbrews
Frequent Advisor

HP 3PAR and exported LUNs

Disclaimer - I am attempting to relearn HPUX /3par stuff I havent used in years...

On a 3par device, I have chosen a snap volume to export to the server

- A lun (8) was chosen and the export completed.

- ioscan -fnC disk shows the device.

- I was able to create a volume group, did a mknod, etc... and was successful in importing the vg, mounting and accessing.

Now that I am done, I reversed the above steps

- umount

- export vg since I dont need it any more

- ioscan and grep for NO_HW devices, verify they match what was added 

- removed the NO_HW devices - rmsf -H <hw path>

- and a final ioscan to verify the NO_HW devices are gone.

Now I need to redo the above with a different snap.  All the above steps were re-done with the new snap volume.  The OS does NOT see this newly exported device with the exported lun (8) that worked earlier.  Doing an ioscan/insf does not make the device show up.  What am I missing/need to do to get this device to show up?

3 REPLIES 3
sbrews
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP 3PAR and exported LUNs

... and the solution has been found.  It would appear that the disk devices were being somewhat persistant.

While the LUN that was no longer needed had been removed from the system - as identified by "ioscan -fnC disk", it was only the legacy device that was removed.  Looking at the disk via agile showed devices still present... and this is what was causing the re-used lun to not show up.  Long story short

- identify disks via legacy view - ioscan -fnC disk - and remove the disks with a NO_HW status.

- identify disks via agile view - ioscan -fnNC disk - and remove the disks with a NO_HW status.

Then the lun # you want to re-use can be and will show up with an ioscan, be imported, etc.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

- identify disks via legacy view - ioscan -fnC disk - and remove the disks with a NO_HW status.

- identify disks via agile view - ioscan -fnNC disk - and remove the disks with a NO_HW status.

Note that in HP-UX 11.31, there is one simple command that may be helpful in this process:

# rmsf -x

It will automatically find all disk (both agile & legacy), tape and raw SCSI device nodes that don't have a corresponding device available, and remove them.

MK
sbrews
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the tip on the -x option - didtn notice that when I was looking at this the other day.