8062 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Configuration for Network printer

Julian Snype
Advisor

HP Configuration for Network printer

Greetings everyone,

I have a network Print Server (Linksys) that is used as a community printer(Lexmark) for all my windows XP machines. All XP machines can successfully print to the community printer. I want to know how do I configure my HP machine to print to the community printer. I reviewed some of the threads but could not find anything that would help me with the HP configuration.

Current Network printer configuration
The printer server is connected to a workgroup(Linksys)switch with a crossover uplink cable to my wireless router(Linksys).

I can ping the IP of my network printer from my HP machine without a problem. I just canтАЩt print

Printer name LKD82F40 (defined in the DHCP Client Table)

# How do I configure my HP machine to print to the Network printer?
# Is the HP configuration port specific?
# Must I make changes in my wireless router configuration?
# What printer services should I verify in HP to make sure everything is running ok?

Hardware тАУ j5000 workstation
OS тАУ HP-UX 11i v1

Thanks,
Julian
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Configuration for Network printer

You simply run sam and configure it as a "remote printer" (not a network printer). The Linksys print server implements the simple lpd/lpr remote printer protocol. In SAM, select:

Printers and Plotters->LP Spooler -> Printers and Plotters

Then select the Actions to add a Remote Pinter.
NOTE: You must determine what the "Remote Printer Name" is inside the Linksys LAN adapter. It might be called PRN or LP or TEXT, etc. This is emulating a Unix server where the server has several printers attached and you need to identify the one you want to use.

The port used by lpd/lpr is industry standard 515 but HP-UX already knows this and you do not configure the port. The wireless router (and the rest of your network) is unknown so there is no way to know what you should do. Assuming that the HP-UX box and the printer are on the same subnet, SAM will take care of the details. The LP psooler is always running on a standard HP-UX install.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Julian Snype
Advisor

Bill

Used Sam printers and plotters to configure the remote printer. Im a little confused by the some of the information that is being asked. This is the info that I entered.

#Printer Name =Lexmarkprt

#Remote system name =? If this is a remote printer attached to workgroup switch. I dont know what should go into this field. Should I use the name of one of my XP machines? Entered the name of one of my XP machine to see what would happen. I dont think that this is the correct solution.

Remote Printer name = lkd82f40 (this is the name in my DHCP client table in my router)

#Other option
Remote printer is on a BSD system (should I select option?)

#Option
Set as the default destination (Y)

I tried setting up the remote printer configuration a couple of ways without success. I tried to assign a printer to print a text job and received the following messages: Unable to find printers
(?) Although the printer is setup incorrectly shouldnt they still be out there somewhere for me to modify the settings
(?) Are there any trouble-shooting tips that you can provide me for finding out what is wrong?

Thank
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Here's a link to a unsupported / supported solution for a lexmark using jetadmin, jetdirect and SAM. I believe you'll need a jetdirect card to begin with. My concern is it won't run on a J box but only Windows.

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&admit=-1335382922+1150171668222+28353475&docId=200000063226329

And note this command line test:
lp -d LKD82F40 /etc/hosts
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Here's the information:

#Printer Name =Lexmarkprt

This is the local name (printger queue name) you'll use for printing on the local system. To avoid future problems, always use all lowercase names for print queues.

#Remote system name =?

This is the IP address of the Linksys print server. It's confusing because if this was a Windows printer server, you'd know to put in the remote system name or IP. Due to difficulties with DNS in Windows shops, use IP addresses.

Remote Printer name = lkd82f40

No, this is the special name I mentioned above. It is a special name that is hardcoded inside the Linksys print server. If is not documented in the Linksys manual, you'll have to contact Linksys and ask specifically for Unix support. Ask for the name of the internal printer that is stored in the ROM code.

Remote printer is on a BSD system

Check YES for BSD system. HP-UX uses the SysV lp spooler which allows for 4-digit print queue numbers but BSD printing (RFC 1179) only allows for 3 digits. The Linksys (and all other print servers, whether Windows-based or commercial LAN appliances, use BSD protocol).

Unable to find printers

This is the expected error message. The Linksys is looking for a match to it's hardcoded (can't be changed) internal printer name(s). I looked at the Linksys web page for the PPSX1 and on page 70, Unix is listed as documented in the printer server's CD under Not_supp directory. Since Linksys does not provide this directory online, you'll have to dig through the CD on your own.

NOTE: This is a universal problem for ALL Unix systems trying to use print server appliances that were designed for Windows. The only exception is HP's JetDirect LAN and appliance products. These are fully compatible (and well-docucumented) for all Unix flavors as well as Apple, Novell and Windows.

One fomal note: Unix text files are in the form: text LF text LF where LF is the end of line character. By contrast, Windows uses the format: text CRLF text CRLF. When you send Unix text files direct to the printer, the text stairsteps across the paper and off the right edge. To fix this, you'll need to print text files with the ux2dos command as in:

ux2dos my_textfile | lp -dmyprinter

Since BSD remote printing has no provision for handling -o options, things like -olandscape and -oduplex are silently ignored.

If you are thinking that this is entirely too much trouble, you are accurate. All of these problems can be eliminated and still maintain compatibility with Windows by replacing the Linksys with an HP JetDirect external box. The JetDirect protocol bypasses all of the SysV remote printing limitations of RFC 1179. The choice is how much you really need a printer on HP-UX. Note that some HP printers have a slot for the JetDirect card while others must use an external box. You'll get the most features for printing by using both an HP JetDirect card/box and an HP printer (Deskjet and Officejet printers can have Windows-only issues).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Julian Snype
Advisor

Thanks for your suggestions/informaion. Points are always awarded for good suggestions and/or resolutions to my unix problems.

Julian
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

hello julian,
We have managed to get hp ux to drive lexmarks directly after some effort, the main driver program must be installed and if you have funny lexmark model (e.g. 64x) you may need to add the plugin that came on the printer's cd. unix print then goes direct to the printer. gunzip then swinstall the depot.
add a name to the hosts file
it uses an X gui for setup .

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=227:5:0:489:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1192&searchLang=en&searchLang=en

good luck
mike
Help is out there always!!!!!