1752777 Members
5879 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP G62 notebook installation problem with Fedora 13 [32/64 bit]

Amir ElSayed

HP G62 notebook installation problem with Fedora 13 [32/64 bit]

Dear Sirs,

i just bought new notebook HP G62 [core i3, 4G Ram, 500G HD, ATI 1G, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit]
it works great but i want to install fedora 13 on my new noteook, the case is when i want to install it on any partition it generate error message "Cannot allocate frre space" while i have 350G free on my HD, please advice..
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Sillers
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP G62 notebook installation problem with Fedora 13 [32/64 bit]

I suspect fedora is looking for unpartitioned space. You will either have to remove the windows partition or resize it.

I have had success resizing windows partitions using Knoppix - it's a bootable linux based cd which includes a partitioning utility that will resize.

Once you have unpartitioned space, fedora should install.

Good luck.
Amir ElSayed

i am already have unallocated free space 20 GB i shrinked before from C partition under windows 7, FTI as history i shrinked another partion from C as 300GB and formated it NTFS, that besides the 20 GB unallocated free spcae, so below errors appear:
1-these two partition appears as 1 FREE space [320 GB] in Linux installation
2- if i take the risk and ordered Linux to install on this FREE space the error message "could not allocate requested partitons: not enough free space on disks" appears while there are 320 GB free and 20 GB unallocated

NOTE:
my notebook model type: HP G62-a45EE (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en...9-4208125.html)
Michael Sillers
Trusted Contributor

A couple of things to check -

1. How many primary partitions are there? If there are four (HP may have used up one or more for a utilities partition), then Fedora can't allocate a primary partition which is needed for boot.
2. Is the disk a dynamic disk? This may interfere with the ability to free some up. Windows says it's free but really has not released it as it's part of a Windows dynamic disk.

It's already getting out of my area of knowledge but this might give you something to work with.
Amir ElSayed

for sorry both of them,
- all partitions are dynamic and i can't creat any other type, as i told you before there are 20 GB free and when i try to make them as new partition only "new simple volume" option available, all of these volumes came with my notebook

- also my HD is dynamic

please advice ...