4183 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Integrity VM

Prashanth Waugh
Esteemed Contributor

HP Integrity VM

Hi,

Using HP Integrity Virtual Machines, if I create say 4 VMs, then can I have different date and times in each VM.

Regards,
Prashant
For success, attitude is equally as important as ability
7 REPLIES 7
vishnu.khandare
Respected Contributor

Hi Prashant,

Date n time of the system depends upon ntp configuration, and not on the system dependent. It depends upon ur ntp server configuration.U can give different time and date on differnt VM or system.

Hope this solves ur issue.
Dont forget to assign the points.

Regards
Vishnu Khandare
You should deserve before U desire!!!!
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Each Guest O/S is independant of the Host or any other O/S, so yes you ccan.
Thye can have different time zones as well.
Just be aware that if you want to use ntp, you need to make sure that your timezones are correct
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Prashanth Waugh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

We are not going to use NTP, also We will not have different timezone .

Regards,
prashant
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

> We are not going to use NTP, also We will not have different timezone .

Even the VMs don't belong to different timezones, it's a good practice to use NTP to get the time/date synchronized. If the time is in sync between the nodes, the logfiles of the servers are much easier to evaluate, especially if there is ServiceGuard installed. The timestamp of the logs should be in sync.

Regards,
Viktor Balogh
Unix operates with beer.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>can I have different date and times in each VM?

Generally all Unix computers should have the same UTC time. They can have different timezone values.
Prashanth Waugh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

We are planning to use the same timezone for all VM.

Regards,
Prashant
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

Hi Prashanth,

You can have different times on the VM's bcoz all VM's are running their own copy of the kernel. It is a full kernel which is completely in their control and is independent of the date/time on Host machine.
I faced a similar situation while using Solaris Containers / Zones technology and you cannot have different date/time on Solaris zones bcoz the zones do not have a complete copy of the kernel, they share the kernel with the Global container.
This is not the case with HPVM or Sun LDOM. You can even have different kernels if you using HPVM or Sun LDOM.

Thanks