cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: HP LaserJet P1606dn

Advisor

HP LaserJet P1606dn

We have purchased above new printer and I have created a remote print device. We run BaaN installed on HPUX and I am not able to output to this printer. I think I need a new driver but there is no unix driver for this printer.

Any suggestions?

I posted this problem on a BaaN form and received feed back suggesting that I try "hppi JetDirect printing on HP-UX". What is this?
2 REPLIES 2
Outstanding Contributor

The HP JetDirect printer installer is available here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?〈=en&cc=us&pnameOID=18922&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=27349〈=en&cc=us

After installing the HPPI software you can run the "hppi" command to install your printer. You will then print to it by IP address rather than as a remote device attached to some other server.

Pete

Pete
Honored Contributor

According to the HP specs, the P1606dn is a host-based printer. That means that it is incapable of print "abc" or any other text. Instead, the host (your computer) must convert everything on the page into a series of dots through a very complex set of processe steps such as font scaling and rendering, positioning on the page and finally converting the page into a series of dot-rows that are binary codes to tell the laser where to put the black dots.

HP (and most other printer vendors) concentrate virtually 100% of their design efforts for low cost printers to be sold to consumers. That's why this laser printer is less than $300 USD. There's virtuall no electronics inside for page formatting. HP doesn't even support older PCs (Win2000, WinNT, etc) as there is no driver available.

So it simply won't work on HP-UX. You could setup a small Linux system as there are drivers for Linux (though not from HP) and then print through the Linux system as the formatter. This might work with a Windows box too.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin