HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SMH

SOLVED
Go to solution
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

HP SMH

Hi,

I am planning the cut over of my old integrity server. Both of them run 11iv3, I have copied over the group, passwd and shadow files. When I tried to run HP SMH, it does not work anymore, if I restore the original file, it's working.

What do I need to do to make it work after the copy of the file?

Thanks,
11 REPLIES
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

Re: HP SMH

I forgot to mention the error message,

1)at the web pages, I am getting ...

ERROR: Username and password do not match

2)in the syslog file

syslog: SMH: User:root from 192.x.x.x was DENIED access to System Management Homepage

3) in the smh.log

nothing

thanks,
nijokj
Trusted Contributor

you please try after resetting the password of root.
and run pwck and grpck command to check the consistency on passwd and group file.
INH
Regular Advisor

Hi

Check the root password and possibly u need to change it post copy

Regds,
INH
Knowledge is power
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

>> I have copied over the group, passwd and shadow files.

Have your run consistency checks after copying these files? Have you validate your root user authentication before trying through SMH ?
Regards
Shibin
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

Yes, the password of root is working at the os level, but i realised that my default user don't have the same userid, so the hpsmh is wrong.

What is the best way to handle that, sync the password on the new target platform?

Thanks
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>Christian : if I restore the original file, it's working.

What did you mean exactly with the original file ?
if you use any new user ,is it working via SMH ?
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

I kept a copy of the group, passwd and shadow file, when i copied them back it was working.

I compare them and find out that the userid of few user was not the same.

Thanks
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi christian,

Ok... so you can login on to the O.S as root but not onto SMH as root. So that probably has something to do with "restricting SMH access".

Since the other server is new and you are planning a "transfer", it is possible for security reasons, SMH itself has been blocked... Just a thought...

Please post output of smhstartconfig... And if disabled execute

smhstartconfig -a on -b off

By default only root users are allowed access to SMH so... try the above.... Let us know..

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

The issue is related with userid, since the hpsmh have a different one on the old system, when the file are copied over (passwd,group and shadow). The hpsmh is not owning some critical files...

Thanks
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi christian derek,

The hpsmh "user account" is a system account also known as a "pseudo account" used for supporting subsystems, in this case the hpsmh subsystem as a whole and the UID of pseudo accounts are very much critical for supporting the subsystem in this case hpsmh. Although HPUX has a reserved range of 0-99, in most of the servers I have seen hpsmh has a UID a little above 100. A change in the system account will hamper the subsystem in this case SMH.

I say this because you have mentioned...

> since the hpsmh have a different one on the old system,

And by that I think you mean the 'hpsmh account' on /etc/passwd... Is it possible to make that as it was on the server you are transferring it from or is that UID is not free? {although I have never touched a system account}? But it's puzzling why you have the 'hpsmh pseudo account' having a different UID on both servers... Hope info helps.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
nijokj
Trusted Contributor

try change the userid of the user hpsmh. Keep the same user id of the original user having.