1745876 Members
4298 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX 10.01 (Don't Laugh): Need newer Perl

John Ross_1
Occasional Advisor

HP-UX 10.01 (Don't Laugh): Need newer Perl

I have a customer who is running HP-UX 10.01 on an E series (yes, it still runs). I need to get a newer version of PERL than 5.003 to compile (need 5.005 or better), but am running into major hurdles (for me, anway) in that task. I am using a purchased version of the HP CC compiler (not the kernel compiler) and run into all kinds of build issues that thwart whichever way to try to go at this.

Can anyone still remember how to successfully compile PERL on this platform using HP CC. I've tried a number of recent versions from 5.6.1 to the latest 5.8 version with no luck. If I could find a binary of perl for 10.01 I'd use it, but even on the web, that seems rarer than hen's teeth.
9 REPLIES 9
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP-UX 10.01 (Don't Laugh): Need newer Perl

Hi John:

Merijn has perl binaries for 10.20. I would think that these will work for you:

http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/

Regards!

...JRF...
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

I'd be more than happy to try that :)

basically, if you use 5.8.x (7 preferably, but 5.8.8 will be released very soon now), the basic command should work:

# sh ./Configure -Dprefix=/opt/perl -des

What fails?

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn [ who could be tempted on ssh ]
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have a .depot for 10.20:
4096510 Aug 24 1999 perl-5.005_03-sd-10.20.depot

If there is nothing better...

All the best
Victor
John Ross_1
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm, I guess that should have been one of my questions. Would a 10.20 binary work...never thought to try that. I figured there would be enough differnces that it wouldn't. I've been to the site with the 10.20 perl binaries for some 10.20 machines I have. I'll give that a shot.

Where does it fail? Where doesn't it fail? It is a moving target. I try something and the build fails somewhere else. One part centers on the dynamic loader (I think that is what it is called). Another appears to be the optimizer. After trying to build perl without the dynamic stuff and with optimizations turned off, it failed somewhere else. It has been a real frustrating time with this. I think now the linker is not linking to some libraries. I'm going to try the 10.20 binaries now.
John Ross_1
Occasional Advisor

Well,

I tried a 10.20 binary from the Merjin site (perl-5.8.0-gcc-3.2-10.20-pa11-ora.tbz). First , it needs a thread library, so I got pth-2.0.6, and managed to compile it after tweaking some of the settings in the HP-UX override section. (I knew I needed this after using this on a few 10.20 machines I have.). After bunzip2'ing and untarring, I tried to run the perl and got the following error:
./perl -V
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Invalid version for shared library: /usr/lib/libc.1
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Exec format error
Abort(coredump)

So, it appears that I will have to go back to fighting with the perl compile :-(
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Do you think a static version would help you? Or do you need to add modules anyway?

John Ross_1
Occasional Advisor

Well, I am compiling this for an in-house tool that creates some of its own modules as part of its install.
John Ross_1
Occasional Advisor

Well, I am compiling this for an in-house tool that creates some of its own modules (perl, not c) as part of its install.
John Ross_1
Occasional Advisor

I think the problem was related to the LD flags not including /usr/ccs/lib as a directory to search on. I managed to get it to compile with O2 optimizations, which I had originally suspected as the problem. Also thought that dynamic loading was a problem, but I think I was able to turn that on as well.

Notice a couple of tests would hang and not finish, but when removed from the test directory, the others would finish successfully. One test had the same problem with the /usr/ccs/lib directory as mentioned above.
I know this is pretty vague, but I can't find my notes (sticky notes) I collected while compiling this.