1752565 Members
5188 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 10.10

vrushali shinde

HP-UX 10.10

How could I get source code for HP-UX 10.10?
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Get hired by HP?

Pete

Pete
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

All of hp-ux is closed source, except ported open source parts.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

Indeed no chance. Access to hpux source need very special agreements, and never for free.

What are you trying to do?
vrushali shinde

I wanted to take a look at SMT implementation done in x11 10.10, which is not there in open release latest version 7.4. Can I get source code for SMT module of X11 10.10?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

This is long obsoleted and may not even be available to anyone.
vrushali shinde

Thank you for the quick response. I checked the performance comparision between SMT by HP and SGI at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/SharedMemoryTransport#head-4fa166e88889bea15ec28aeecf613fb04213d510
It seems that SMT increases performance by 5 to 20%, also degrades in some cases.
Could you please let me know why was the SMT obsoleted, was it because of not much performance improvement? Could I get some information/ docs about how SMT was implemented?
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

1) 10.10 is almost a decade out of support

2) In the article cited at the link, Shared Memory Transport is noted a used by the XWindow system. I believe the X implemention shipped w/ HPUX is based on the one supplied by The Open Group (and not the XFree86 implementation noted in the article)

3) I don't know if the current Open Group implementation uses STM or not (nor do I really care). The Open Group continues to maintain a website, so the information about their implementation may be available there.

The article does note the following:

"On workstations, SMT has historically provided a significant improvement in performance.....on modern PC-class hardware, SMT improves overall performance by less than 10%......I do not recommend devoting more engineering time to the active improvement of the current SMT implementation for XFree86"

however, as noted, this doesn't specifically apply to the implementation shipped with HP.