4558 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 10.2 and fibre channel and/or iSCSI

Nabila

HP-UX 10.2 and fibre channel and/or iSCSI

Hi,
I have a K570 system with HP-UX 10.2.
I want to order a FC HBA to connect to an FC array.
Does HP-UX 10.2 support the FC protocol? what HBA could I find on the market?
Does HP-UX 10.2 support iSCSI?
6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

FC is supported on 10.20 yes, iScsci isnt.

the fc if card you need for the K class for mass storage is part number A3404A.

there may be another but im not sure

http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=&psrchmode=&partsrch=A3404A&submit.x=8&submit.y=5

details in link above

Andy
Nabila

Hi, Thank you for your reply. Does anyone knows of a K570 with HPUX 10.2 connected to a Clariion system?
Vinod Kumar Yadav
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

You Can Install the FC on K570 K Class Server and connect with EMC Clariion it is supported.

Partdetials:-
A3404AR Interface (Product) : Fiber channel adapter - 1063Mbps adapter installed in an HP K-Class computer HSC expansion board - For linking to fiber channel mass storage only

Then you can install the MPIO for EMC and check the LUN with below commands.

#powermt version
#powermt dev=all

Thanks
Vinod Kumar Yadav

Jai Shiv Shankar
Nabila

Hi Vinod,
Thank you.
What Clariion model did you see supported?
Regards.
Nabila.

Nabila,

Sorry but bad advice from Vinod there...

The A3404AR card is a Fibre CHannel Arbitrated Loop (FCAL) card only - you will seriously struggle to use this with any modern fabric switch or disk array.

For a fabric capable card you'd want A6685A (or A6685AR for a remarketed one from HP). Good luck trying to find these - we certainly don't make them any more... and even once you found one, you'd also need to locate a driver for it - they're certainly not available for download from HP any more, so if you don't have one on your CDs already, you'd be relying on the kindness of strangers again to get one!

Next support for Clariion... I don't know why Vinod says supported, because the EMC support matrices don't list support for anything at HP-UX 10.20, and why would they? After all the OS has been out of support for over 6 years. I'm not saying it won't work, just that you certainly won't get support from either EMC or HP if it doesn't.

There is no iSCSI stack for 10.20 (i'm not even sure there *was* such a thing as iSCSI when 10.20 was around!)

This is the problem with trying to run systems that are way out of support - it just gets harder and harder to do anything with them - the longer you leave it, the bigger the cost you are creating for yourself to migrate whatever application it is you use on that platform to something thats supported.

Basically I'm really glad I'm not in your shoes!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

Duncan is right about the A6685A

i was sure there was another card but could not remember for sure.

the driver is still available as well for that card here for 10.20/11.0

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=A6685A

Andy