5734 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.11 Printing issue

Binubaby
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX 11.11 Printing issue

Hello
I have installed a dotmatrix printer (SEDCO) as a remote network printer for a HP-UX11.11 rp server through SAM
Any job sent to the printer stuck in the queue and message
"Waiting for to come up"
There is no printing.
(But this same printer is printing from another HP server on another subnet
I have checked all possibilities of removing and adding printer, /etc/inetd.conf entry, /etc/servces, /var/adm/inetd.sec, stopping and starting lpshut, lpsched etc. But no luck
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks ini advance
BB

BB
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

You say it's working from system on a different subnet. Perhaps there is a firewall blocking this one?
--
Jeff Traigle
Binubaby
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Thank you for your response
I have checked with the network team and confirmed there there is no firewall, all ports are open as well, Also the printer is pingalbe..
BB
BB
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Don't know if you're still having the issue. I just happened to notice your response when surfing through my responses in my profile.

Another thing that comes to mind is that perhaps name resolution isn't correct on this one system. If you do "nslookup ", does it return the correct IP address?

Of course, you said the server is pingable so maybe you pinged hostname so you know it's resolving correctly.
--
Jeff Traigle
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Most of the no-print problems with remote printers (actually, remote print servers) is not getting the remote printer name set correctly. All remote printers use the same port 515 protocol which assumes that the remote device has one or more printers connected (think of a Windows print server). So the protocol requires the name of the printer inside the print server (even if it is just a LAN card). The names vary widely, names like lp, prn, text, raw, etc. If you get it wrong, you get exactly nothing, no errors, no diagnostics and no printing.

So you'll need to find out what name was used to setup the working printer on the other HP-UX system. You can try contacting SEDCO for Unix support information (assuming that the network connection is built into the printer). Unfortunately, most printer manufacturers provide little support for Unix systems. If you are using an external serial/parallel/USB adapter box, then you'll need the name used inside the adapter box.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

This dotmatrix printer is connected to a PC or in independent network?

If it connected to a windows PC via parallel port, have you enabled UNIX printing services in that PC ?

"Working from other HP servers". You mean, from other HP-UX servers? or HP servers having windows loaded ?
Regards
Shibin
Binubaby
Frequent Advisor

Hi All
Thank you for all replies
Firstly the printer is configured as a remote network printer and there is no windows print server involved in this setup.
As Bill mentioned I have contacted SEDCO and the printer name used as ultima90 and I have tried the same in the configuration but the result is the same. Do I need to put this name in the DNS as well?
Thanks,
BB
BB
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> I have contacted SEDCO and the printer name used as ultima90 and I have tried the same in the configuration but the result is the same. Do I need to put this name in the DNS as well?

ultima90 is the model of the printer so it would be unusual to be the internal name used by the print server firmware. You need to contact SEDCO again and ask for a Unix expert. It is very easy to confuse the remote print server (in your case, the printer's IP address) and the print server's internal name for the printer. This is part of the RFC 1179 protocol used by print servers.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin