108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.23 sendmail smtp into Office365 with TLS/Startls auth

SOLVED
Go to solution
K3SSL
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX 11.23 sendmail smtp into Office365 with TLS/Startls auth

Hi Gurus!   I have a requirement to setup smtp from UX 11.23 where it's going into smtp.office365.com and using TLS/Starttls. (This is to allow HP-UX to send us alert emails externally, where customer's server will connect outward into o365 to then relay over to us).

My issue is that we apparently need to specify an existing o365 mail account username/password to use for authentication, but I can't see in any of the sendmail documentation where I might set this up.

Can anyone provide any pointers please?

Many thanks
Paul

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

I recently had to do this as well, but I was never able to get Sendmail to work.

I wound up having to relay e-mail from HP-UX through a Linux server running POSTFIX that I configured to talk to O365.

Another option may be to run Postfix on HP-UX and see if you can get it to work.  You can get Postfix for HP-UX 11.23 from here:

https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXIEXP1123

K3SSL
Occasional Contributor

Hi Patrick and thank you SO much for confirming my fear that sendmail as such is a non-starter!

I must admit postfix was my next port of call and thanks also for that link to obtain relevant version - I can indeed try this on my little rx2600 test server here before going near the customer's machine(s).  I already found a short article on a site called 'secopsmonkey' which gives guidance on setting postfix up for using o365 account/password.

I'll update this thread further regarding my attempt with Postfix, in case it might help anyone else out.

Regards
Paul

K3SSL
Occasional Contributor

And the next issue, having gotten Postfix installed, is trying to get the configuration right - not least of which I don't appear to have the (pre-requisite) Berkley DB installed to allow "postmap hash" to work creating the sasl password file

I'm getting there, but very slowly!

K3SSL
Occasional Contributor

And, as a (final I think) note to all this: Looks like another basic issue is that the pre-packaged depot version of Postfix, from HP themselves, for HP-UX 11.23 does not contain any "sasl" option when it was compliled - so looks like my only option would have been to obtain the source code and run a comile myself with this sasl option enabled = too much work.