5468 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX 11.23 server freezes

Jose Luis Casado
Occasional Advisor

HP-UX 11.23 server freezes

Dear colleagues,

We have a pretty weird issue (at least for me) and I am looking for a kind of brainstorming on what you think could explain this odd behaviour.

Server is in a location that suffered issues with network 24h ago.

All of a sudden, one of the servers started to experience different issues:
- single sign on is not possible (although it is in other servers)
- login into the server using ssh is not longer possible (though console access is ok).
- Most of the commands takes up to 4 minutes to start but afterwards they run with no problems.
- A simple ps -ef shows some dozens of lines, freeze, show some dozens of lines, freeze again till it finish.

- SAP is working fine though, although login takes a long time, afterwards everything is working fine.

- Backups has run with no errors.

Any idea that could explain all that?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX 11.23 server freezes

It sounds like you still have networking issues. Missing from your description:

- single sign on
No clue what that might be. Some special software that relies on the network for authentication perhaps?

- ssh not possible...
Again, no clue what that means. Are you saying that the server does not respond to ping or does not connect with the ssh port or the login prompt is not given or the connection hangs or the connection is refused, or the authentication fails?

- Most of the commands takes up to 4 minutes to start...
Commands like date? who? vi? man? ksh?

or do you mean big application programs? Do the slow commands use NFS? Does bdf hang? Run bdf -l to stop looking at NFS.

Need more details....

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jose Luis Casado
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

ssh is up and running but each time we try a new connection the connection just drops.

There are no NFS systems mounted.

When I am reffering to any command I mean nearly any.

Bdf seems to work fine, ps -ef takes ages, glance also...

But the system is working fine from the networking point of view, SAP is working fine, users are able to conect after a while, transports works, backups work...

jose
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Where is your user account information stored? Is it stored locally in /etc/passwd etc., or are you using NIS, LDAP or something similar? (Single Sign-on suggests maybe some form of LDAP; that includes Microsoft Active Directory, since it is a form of LDAP).

If "ps -ef" is slow, it might be because the system needs to access a NIS or LDAP server to translate UIDs and GIDs to user and group names, and there might be some sort of trouble communicating with that server.

Once a particular name is looked up, the information is cached locally for a while, if the "nscd" process is running. That might explain why "everything works fine" after the initial start takes a long time.

MK
MK

Hi,

1>single sign on is not possible (although it is in other servers)

Not sure what you are referring to??

2>login into the server using ssh is not longer possible (though console access is ok)

Were you able to telnet to the server?what kind of error did you get when you ssh?

3>Most of the commands takes up to 4 minutes to start but afterwards they run with no problems.

How about the system load average?Load can be checked using top,w commands?did you observe any errors in the syslog file??

Jose Luis Casado
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Sorry for not answering before, but it seems that due to the forum migration I was not able to login in.

- CPU iddle at 80%, Memory at 80%, Swap at 40% (but no swap to disk, just to memory)
- glance shows no errors or limits found
- no errors in syslog or dmesg, no errors about "out of space" or "cannot fork"

In the mean time we rebooted the servers and the problem is gone...so we will send the TOC to HP for a postmortem analyse...I will let you know what's the outcome.

Thanks!
jose