1753913 Members
8716 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.31 LVM 1.0 Max PEs per PV limit

IanFoster
Occasional Visitor

HP-UX 11.31 LVM 1.0 Max PEs per PV limit

Just looking for some confirmation/suggestions around an issue I have on an HPVM. A file system has reached 1TB and unfortunately the underlying volume group was built with only a 16MB extent size and under LVM 1.0 has a max PE per PV of 65535.

I had hoped I could get around this issue by adding a second LUN (disk device) to the group. However, although I have been able to add the new LUN to the VG ok, I find I can still not expand the lv - errors with the same 65535 PE limit even though by default it should be able to use both disk devices now.

Am I right in suspecting that this limit is not therfore 'per physical volume' but in fact a hard limit on the VG on this version of LVM?

If this is the case, Im guessing my only option to extend the original file system now is to build a new VG with a 32 mb extent size (giving a new 2TB limit) and migrate the data.

Opinions and advice gratefully received!

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Why not converting from LVM 1 to LVM 2.x?

Start with

man vgversion

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
IanFoster
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the response. I will look at that option. Can that upgrade be done online or does it require downtime/deactivating volumes?

Thanks,

Ian.