cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-UX 11.31 and IBM DS5100

AlexZhang
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX 11.31 and IBM DS5100

I checked the IBM website. It seems that only PVlink is supported. Here is my question, if 11.31 native multi-path doesn't support the array, what is the correct procedure to use just PVlink?
I assume I can just use multiple conventional device file with the one on prefered path as the primary device file. Any other configuration needs to be taken into configuration?
Thanks.
Alex
1 REPLY
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX 11.31 and IBM DS5100

The DS5100 is a "double" DS4800. You are correct on the approach about using the prefered path (array controller ownership) as the primary path in PVlinks and the alternate path as the alternate link.

If you have not yet, install the IBM storage manage software on the HP server. After running ioscan and insf, run the SMdevices utility to get a listing that maps the LUN names to UNIX disk device files. The hot-add utility does all 3 commands in sequence.

One very important thing is to run pvcreate only on the prefered path device (primary LVM path). If you don't, the array will sence the i/o on the alternate path and change controller ownership. (If thios happens, no big deal, go the storga manager and change it back).