7434 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.31 device files renaming

Holger Nieraad
Advisor

HP-UX 11.31 device files renaming

Hello,

i use the agile view for my disks in one 11.31 SG-Cluster. But the device names differ from Member to Member. In a normal SG-Cluster this is not a problem. vgimport/vgexport with -s / -N options works fine.
But ORACLE RAC need symetric device file mapping!
From my knwledge ist only possible to rename devices with #ioinit -f FILNAME -r
Is there a plan to create a Utility like #dsfmgr under Tru64 to easy rename devices under HP-UX 11.31? With dsfmgr it is (was) possible to rename devices online without reboot in a Tru64 Cluster.

Has anyone informations about plans to implement such a command/scipt/tool to HP-UX 11iV3?

thx
Holger Nieraad
4 REPLIES 4

I beleive cluster-wide consistent DSFs will come in the 2nd half of this year in 11iv3. For now though, no you'll have to live with what you currently have.

Options are:

1) Us 'ioinit -f' to reassign instances on one host to look like the other. This can be a little fraught if you are not well practiced at it. See ioinit(1m) for more details.

2) Are you using ASM? If so, why not just create some symbolic links to your actual disks - you can make these consistent. Alternatively use mknod to create suitable device files that match you actual disks device major/minor numbers. Don't forget to update ASM_DISKSTRING to wherever you put these links.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

Also note that ioinit implies you can now re-assign instance numbers (and hence change DSFs) online without reboots. Never tried it though and there are a few caveats mentioned in there too - only attempt if you're prepared to experiment and rebuild if you stuff it up!

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Vishwas Pai
Regular Advisor

Yes, install the latest 11.31 ioinit and related dependencies to achieve this. You will be able to dynamically (without rebooting) change disk instances (which will intern create new DSF names). Remember to evaluate the DSFs in use and cleanup old DSFs that may be left over.

--vishwas
Holger Nieraad
Advisor

thx to all replys