1753774 Members
7025 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.31 native multi-pathing and EMC Clariion cx-380

Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

HP-UX 11.31 native multi-pathing and EMC Clariion cx-380

we are running into some kind of performance issue on one of vpar on rx7640 (oracle 10g) . I have implemented native multipathing of 11.31 by putting the correct paramters on clariion . The clariion is an active/active array as we use flare code 26 . Does it means that all the paths needs to be active. Anybody else using clariion - hpux 11.31 and native multipathing ?
Attacing the list of 2 vpars from the same rx7640 . One of the host is showing one path active and other standby and other hosts shows all path active (that's the one which have ocassional performance issues).

13 REPLIES 13
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Clarion Arrays when connected and zoned to 11iv3 servers should be configured for FO mode 4 (will show up as SPC protocol revision in the scsimgr get_info -D /dev/rdisk/ output).

It should show up as ACTIVE / STANDBY paths.

check "Active LUN paths" & "Standby LUN paths" in the scsimgr output.

What type of performance issue ? Any other error in the logs.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

i configured them correctly . please see the below output . The only thing i noticed is the I/O load balancing policy is set to path_lockdown in this vpar . Other vpar showing as "round robin" . Don't know where that setting comes from.
please see the attached file . The first system is the one having problem and second one is fine.

please see my other attachment(with initial question) for scsimgr lun_map -D output

attached is out of scsimgr get_info -D

Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

here is the output.

Deepak,

It looks very much to me like you _don't_ have the correct settings for that LUN on the Clariion - I'd go and check these 2 LUNs again on the Clariion and make sure you have all the same parameters set.

Once your happy with it, you may also have to recreate the DSFs, so de-activate the VG, and remove the DSFs, then re-run ioscan and insf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

It looks like the host initiator type 10 (HP No Auto Trespass) is not setup on the problematic vpar host.

I would first check if the initiator type is set to 10 for this host on the clarrion array. Also I would confirm this parameter is set "OptionsSupported ArrayType" in the agent.config file.
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

i checked over and over again and settings are fine on clariion side . attaching is a screen shot from clariion . my agent.conf looks like this and it is same on all the host.

(herhxp02 root):/opt/Navisphere/bin> grep -v "#" agent.config
clarDescr Navisphere Agent
clarContact John Smith, 800-555-1212
device auto auto
poll 60
eventlog 100

other 2 vpars - herhxp01 and p03 are fine and they have same config file as well as similar setting clariion .

the setting were fine some months back and recently changed when i did some zoning changes - made each HBA see multiple sp ports . but i did for others vpar also.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Ok. I think the hostname needs to be a FQDN.

Try using FQDN for this host. Check agentID.txt and HostIdFile.txt files.
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

where are these 2 files

agentID.txt and HostIdFile.txt files

I was thinking about the FQN but its not easy to change. I may need to de-register the inititors in clariion . Beside that edit option is just showing the short name of the host. So looks like i probably need to unmount all FS , deactivate the VG and then remove and then re-register the paths on clariion again . but that probably means some downtime and don't know even if after all this it will show the FQN for the host.
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

the only difference i could figure out so far is in the output of scsimgr get_info -D display under "LUN access type " column ( few more columns as well) .

Host A - The one having Issues
---------------------

LUN Path used when policy is path_lockdown = NA
LUN access type = NA
Asymmetric logical unit access supported = Both implicit and explicit
Asymmetric states supported = NA
Preferred paths reported by device = Yes
Preferred LUN paths = 0

Host B - The one having No Issues
-------------------
LUN Path used when policy is path_lockdown = NA
LUN access type = T10 Asymmetric Active-Active
Asymmetric logical unit access supported = Both implicit and explicit
Asymmetric states supported = ao_sup, an_sup, u_sup
Preferred paths reported by device = Yes
Preferred LUN paths = 0

Any idea about the above differences . What you folks see in your system with similar setup.