1752793 Members
5823 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX 11.31 smh -r

SandiC
Advisor

HP-UX 11.31 smh -r

We recently upgraded our HP 4440-64 pa-RISC system from 11.11 to 11.31. I need to be able to give a few programmers restricted acces to sam so they can reactivate accounts or kill a runaway or frozen process.
According to the hp manual I activated restricted smh ( I think the text version will be fastest & best since I am having trouble getting to the users section from the web browser). When I launch it - I only see a few "users" listed such as daemon, bin,uucp, and lp. There are no "users" listed to grant security on. How do I add users to this screen to be able to give them restricted smh access?

Thanks in advance for any help! ( I will assign points!)
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: HP-UX 11.31 smh -r

SandiC
Advisor

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I have done the following as root just as the doc states:
"Activate Restricted HP SMH.
# /usr/sbin/smh -r

You can assign text-based HP SMH privileges by user and by group. You can toggle between the lists of defined users and groups with the u and g keys, respectively.

To select a user or group, move the highlight to that entry and press Enter. The list of text-based HP SMH areas is displayed."

The problem is that my normal "users" DO NOT SHOW UP so that I can select them to give access. Am I missing something? Thanks again.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Where are your users defined? In the passwd file? Via NIS?

Pete

Pete
SandiC
Advisor

It was setup as a trusted system before the conversion, and users were always maintained through SAM with very few exceptions. I can currently see them in passwd file.
SandiC
Advisor

Does anyone have any ideas on this?? We are hp-ux 11.31, were 11.11 trusted. I need to set up some restricted sam users and cannot get it to work. We can't give them root access in their primary group, because it will cause a major problem as most of their files need to be owned bu user. I can give them access through the groups in SMH, but cannot get the "users" or "groups" tool to come up. AND it is very slow that way.

I login as root (no display set) so I can run sam-r. Th tui version opens up. However I don't see ANY users with the exception of a few system ones (no actual users).

ANy ideas out there?